We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disaster! - Mobile phone down toilet..!

DANZIG

Likes # 0

You can probably guessed what happened from the title......

It happened yesterday morning. I did what I've read about on the 'net and instantly retrieved it, took the battery, sim card and memory card out and placed it all on some tissue paper in front of the fire.

All day I tried it at various intervals - but no joy. The battery, sim card and memory card all appeared to be OK as they all worked in my older phone, which thankfully, I still had hanging around somewhere.

Last night however, I tried it again and , joy of joys, it worked and it still is now.

My question is this - is it likely to continue working or is this a brief respite from the inevitable?

I would also like to add that the guy in the T-mobile shop that I went to see about it couldn't have been more helpful but the alleged 'insurance' company that 'covered' the phone were rubbish - heres a brief snippet of the conversation we had on the phone...

Her - "So you dropped it in the toilet this morning"

Me - "Yes, about 7 o'clock"

Her - "OK, so what were you doing at the time?"

Me - "Errrr, what do you think I was doing!?"

They had refused to help out by the way as apparently I hadn't taken enough care when using the phone....

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

The fact that it came back to life again is a good sign. My one didn't survive a washing machine cycle and my insurance was just as 'good' as yours when I tried to claim. Makes you wonder if it is worth having insurance on your mobile. With a bit of luck you managed to retrieve your phone before the water got everywhere so it stands a fair chance of achieving a reasonable life span. Hope it lasts until it comes up for renewal.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

into a bucket of flower water. I had the phone in my shirt pocket, and I leaned across a florist's display to indicate which flowers I wanted for my wife. The phone slid neatly from pocket to water bucket, and was out of sight amongst the flower stems in a flash.

I took it home, shook it vigorously, opened it up and removed the battery, dabbed the visible water off the inside, and left it all in the airing cupboard for a couple of days. Then I replaced the SIM and the battery - which I had charged in another phone and fired it up - it worked perfectly for the rest of its life with me. I hope yours does the same.

Mine was a Nokia, by the way.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

tsk-they should definately have replaced it! Insurance is supposed to cover accidents, is it not? >:( i would have probably tried ringing them more than once, you never know, might get someone a little more sympathetic on the phone agreeing with you.. if not, then you have to wonder what the insurance would ever cover aside from a leaking battery.. freak lightning strikes mid text message perhaps.. Lol! :(

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sometimes it does not pay to be Honest.If you had lost it or it had fallen out of your pocket and smashed on the pavement you would have been covered.It is not the first phone that has fallen in the toilet and will not be the last,Nobody in their right mind would do it deliberately so it must be classed as an accident.And that is what you are insured for.Nice to see that you now have it working again.

Like this post
GroupFC

Likes # 0

Me, too!

I managed to dry it out in the airing cupboard over a couple of days, put it back together and hey presto!

In the meantime, I had purchased a new one. My 14 yo son (who, if I recall correctly, was 12 at the time) had been pestering us for a phone, so guess what! The phone is still going strong and certainly gets more use now than it ever did with me!

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

What I have found after this incident though is the battery runs down REALLY quickly.

The model is a Sony Ericsson w880, and the battery used to last for ages. Now, I'm lucky if it lasts 2 days.

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

have received a letter today from the 'insurance' people again stating that...

"After careful consideration" (less than 30 seconds) "we've had to decline your f******e claim because: You have not taken all reasonable precautions to prevent the incident"

"Please know that we value you as a customer" etc etc

The words 'salt' and 'wound' spring to mind

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[You have not taken all reasonable precautions to prevent the incident] Well it looks as thought that they were admitting that it was an accident.And that is what you are supposed to be insured against.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Thought this might amuse you. Wonder if his insurance paid out. click here

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

Solved the battery running down really quickly issue as well.

Used the battery from my older phone, which I had thankfully kept for emergency use.

Apparently, according to a mate of mine at work, if a mobile phone battery gets wet this is what happens. Something to do with the way they charge allegedly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...