We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HTC Diamond

je-haz

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm looking to get the HTC diamond, but it only seems available on Orange.
(I have seen it on O2 for much higher tariffs).

But I have read that orange customise it quite a lot and disable MSN.

Is this true?

Cheers
James

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Yes unfortunately Orange do their own OEM Customization on all their HTC Mobile Devices.

However I've been using HTC Devices from various Carriers in the UK since the Original O2 XDA (AKA HTC Wallaby).

I've always reflashed the ROM to the Stock HTC Rom and SIM unlocked the device.

As for MSN not being on the Diamond all you need to do is re-install the App via a cab file.

Like this post
je-haz

Likes # 0

thanks for the tips

so do you know what exactly these customisations are for the different carriers?

i dont mind it if the change the splash screen, but changing all the gui with their own naff icons is just wrong!

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Sorry no I don't.

However another way around a carrier custom install is to perform a Hard Reset on the device and then as the unit restarts perform a Soft Reset immediately.

Like this post
Kate B

Likes # 0

I've had an HTC Diamond Touch on loan from the PR company (and reviewed it for the Guardian last week). It's a nice phone but be warned that it suffers from memory leak and crashes from time to time. It also suffers from having the lovely but resource-hungry GUI bolted on top of the nice but resource-hungry Windows Mobile 6.1 OS and it can be sluggish, to say the least. It's a lovely phone to look at and it's got a lot going for it, but I wouldn't pay money for it meself. The only killer app for me is that it supports Exchange, as I have my personal email hosted on an Exchange server, and it handles it fairly well.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Sorry Kate B.. No such thing as a HTC Diamond Touch.. The unit you had was the HTC ELF (AKA HTC P3450 / HTC Touch / HTC Ted Baker Needle / Orange & HTC Touch P3450 / Dopod S1 / T-Mobile MDA Touch / O2 Xda Nova / Vodafone VPA Touch)

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I apologise.. You did review the HTC Diamond. However I've never known it as, or been called the "HTC Diamond Touch".

Like this post
Wirral Bagpuss

Likes # 0

I thought HTC had issued a new ROM to overcome the bugs ??

Like this post
jaritch

Likes # 0

Vodafone do it.

Like this post
jim303

Likes # 0

I've had mine for about a month now.
Initially, it was slow and buggy but after I applied the ROM update it is super speedy - certainly the only usable Windows mobile I've come across.
As for the Orange worries. They have left this one alone completely. All the original software is there and no annoying orange custom software.
(I actually ended up switching networks to Orange as their HSDPA coverage is about 3 times the other networks).

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

The other half has this phone she loves it. I have the Touch Pro. One thing I have noticed on both devices is that the GPS on the units is quite poor.

Using Tomtom 7 both the Diamond & Touch Pro suffer from Lag. Driving around London and the units can't tell you which street your on even though there is a good GPS lock.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...