We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mobile & Internet anywhere required

griffo

Likes # 0

I need a new mobile phone and I need a means of getting my laptop online when away from home, when no landline is available.

Can anyone recommend a way of addressing both needs in one package/deal please?

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Thanks for the updates - this is getting helpful.

I am now satisfied that I need to separate my requirements. The most pressing is getting Internet/email on my laptop. It seems these 'dongles' are the best technology at present.

The problem is that a) where I live seems to be just outside Orange 3G coverage (but I have landline Broadband) and every other one's too! and b) the area in North Wales where there's good 'standard' coverage, there's no 3G.

What I need to try to determine is, what sort of speeds can I reasonably expect when there's only 'standard' coverage?

Is there no portable satelite dishes that one can use to boost signals?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

your broadband service via a USB adapter from your phone provider is going to depend on the network signal - flaky signals won't give you a fast service. That said, this method of accessing the internet is the cheapest and most convenient way for people who - like me - move around a lot, and don't want to be constantly searching for a wireless hotspot. A short while ago I posted to the forum from my parked car, somewhere deep in the New Forest in Hampshire. I've done the same thing from a boat in Chichester harbour, and a service station on the M4.

Regarding signal boosters, I know that Maplins do one for around £15, but it's for phones, and I have no idea how effective it is. I have a commercial signal booster in my office - we always had a signal-strength problem - but it was expensive (over £500), and it certainly isn't a portable device.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

On the occasions when you've connected from 'out and about', have you been within 3G coverage or not? If not, was the speed acceptable?

I need to send emails with PDF attachments and wonder how slow it might be? In my business, we do online applications for clients, which I suspect may not be viable if the speed is very slow?

One thing that worries me about using Orange (my current mobile service provider) is that their coverage page on their website seldom works!

cheers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

with the connection speed. You need to remember that you're using a mobile network, and everything depends on the quality of the signal.

It isn't going to be as fast as your computer at home, but I knew that, and was prepared to trade some speed for the sheer convenience of being able to access the interenet from almost anywhere.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Postscript:

I took the plunge and went for a Vodafone 'dongle' at £15 per month. I trialled it in North Wales in an area where there is good mobile phone signals.

It was very easy to install and get running and was OK for email but useless for Internet, the speeds were just too slow to be viable. The signal was usually 3 (out of 5) bars, which gave speeds of single digit kbps. If I moved around I sometimes got 4 bars, which was noticeably better.

I have decided to return it under the 14 day clause and either try another supplier (the device roamed on one occassion and showed T mobile with 4 bars, when Vodafone had 2 or 3) or wait until the technology/coverage for 3G improves.

Like this post
marmt

Likes # 0

I use the 3skypephone, mobile and modem rolled into one, i dont know why people bother buying the dongle when you can get the skypephone, and just buy the £5 internet add-on, and connect it to your pc or laptop

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Can you detail the actual item you are using as it is difficult to identify exactly what you are paying for, and who you are getting the equipment from.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

I have looked on the 3skypephone site and I can't see what you refer to, as peter99co asked - more details please?

Like this post
mamt35

Likes # 0

Sorry, only just checked back here. I have the skypephone It comes with a install disk with the modem drivers, you use the credit you have on the phone to buy an internet add-on via the my 3 options on the phone. You set the settings on the phone to modem instead of mass storage, plug it into the pc via the supplied usb cable and away you go. You can also connect via bluetooth.
click here
click here

On the second link it says about threes terms and conditions not allowing it, but i spoke to a customer services advisor and they actually endorse the skypephone as one of their modems now, and the only draw back of using the ordinary internet add-on is you cant get access to some x-rated sites whereas with the mobile broadband add-on (which you can choose to buy on the skypephone now aswell) you can access them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September