We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SatNav for Pedestrians.

BishBishop

Likes # 0

I need some advice.

My wife is visually impaired (part blind) and, apart from not being able to drive, also has trouble reading signs when walking. The solution seems to be a hand-held sat nav she can use while walking, however I have some concerns.

What we'd ideally like is a sat nav that is clever enough to not direct her the long way around one-way systems, as well as being able to identify shortcuts not available to drivers (i.e. through pedestrianised areas).

Nice to have features would be a large screen (for her eyes) and also a system that can be used in a car if needed (for me), but these are only afterthoughts. Price is not a great issue here as I am happy to invest in a product that will help her out.

Can anyone suggest a decent product for me please?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
josie mayhem

Likes # 0

You can use a mobile phone as long as it has GPS on it...

I've just got the Blackberry curve, via carphone warehouse, and this came with there Navigater already loaded... This software does give the option before getting direction whether you are walking or driving...

There are both other smart phones that can do this and also other software that you can get that all do the same... Whether they include the walk/drive option I don't now

Hope this helps

Like this post
JoeC

Likes # 0

You can get a mobile with GPS on it or have a look at the Navman range of SatNav for cars as well. Some of them are portable - such as the one I have, the N60i. It has a nice large screen as well. Since I need glasses for small print, I prefer to use the Navman rather than my phone for walkabouts.

Like this post
Incony

Likes # 0

click here

click here

click here

i take no credit for these links.. i used google.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

My new TomTom 920 includes the option for choosing a walking route.

As the device is new, so I have not yet had the opportunity of trying this mode.

On mine you have these options when route planning:

• Avoid motorways - a route which avoids motorways.
• Walking route - a route designed for making the journey on foot.
• Bicycle route - a route designed for making the journey on a bicycle.
• Limited speed - a route for a vehicle which can only be driven at a limited
speed. You have to specify the maximum speed.

Perhaps other TomTom models have the same options.

Like this post
Dizzy Bob

Likes # 0

I believe that all of the tomtom models have the 'walking route' option.

I use the TT software on my smartphone, and have found the walking option very useful when in cities.

I guess it is worth a reminder about security when using it. I am sure there are some people who would not hesitate to liberate it if it were being waved around.

I am not sure if any dedicated sat-navs have a headphone socket so the unit could be kept in a pocket? I keep mine in my shirt pocket while walking, and use a basic headphone, looks like i have an mp3 player on.

Good luck

Let us know how you get on.

DB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September