We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advertised capacity and capabilities.

belfman

Likes # 0

I read an advert today for a phone with 2gb of storage and it boasted store upto 1,800 of your favourite songs. With words saying how good of a music player it is in the advert.

With that sort of compression the music wouldn't be tolerable. Max I could fit is about 350 to 400 mp3s @ 256kbps, some are ripped at 320kpbs.

What do you think? Am I right or am I wasting space on higher quality mp3s as the phones aren't capable of good sound reproduction?

Like this post
spikeychris

Likes # 0

Ripping at 128kbp will allow a lot more data to be saved, that's how they will have probably come up with the numbers.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

My view would be that 192kbps would be maximum compression I would use and as spikeychris says 128kbps is acceptable from a device that is never going to give quality reproduction.

256/320 just seems a waste of capacity.

Like this post
belfman

Likes # 0

I just ripped a 2 minute track at 128kbps and it's file size is 1.88MB. It sounded ok to me but I'm still a bit taken back by their quoted amount of mp3s.

To fit 1800 songs on my guess is the mp3 would have to be 1MB or less in size and WMP only allows a minimum of 128kbps.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

128kbps would be the lowest you'd want, and WMP can rip to lower bitrate if you set it do it.

Like this post
pj123

Likes # 0

Why would you want that?

My phone is for making and receiving calls.

Not for listening to music, taking photographs, surfing the net, making the tea and telling the time.

I have a perfectly good MP3 player (1gb) but also takes SD cards. A thing to take photo's (it's called a camera) Something to surf the net (a computer) and something to watch films/programs (a TV).

Like this post
belfman

Likes # 0

To achieve the quoted fill from the advert.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I do not think that you are wasting space at all. I am amazed at how the quality of audio has degenerated in the last few years as compression rates increase.

Audiophiles, love them or hate them, sit back in horror as technology seems to move further and further to third rate compromise. But then if it's the Spice Girls listened to the maximum compression possible for their music is welcomed, preferably under a road roller.

Like this post
belfman

Likes # 0

To address the rest of your post I don't need an mp3 player because it's built into my phone. I know what the device used to take pictures is called and I own several but don't always carry it with me. I don't "surf the net" but use WAP to download small games and get uptodate news on the move. I do not use a mobile device for video so I agree with that point.

PS. You could start a new topic in Mobile World as it's now dead or contribute to my other thread on Mobile World click here

Like this post
spikeychris

Likes # 0

As bremner has stated, the AAC codec kicks out 192kbps and gives good compressed output.

Like this post
spikeychris

Likes # 0

I have no idea as to why I arrived in the mobile room - thought I was safely seated in speakers corner. Phasers set to stun...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...