We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Debrand an LG KG 800 Chocolate

Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I have just got, through ebay, a *very* nice KG800 Chocolate phone. I'm impressed.

The phone came as locked to the Orange network, but I soon got that sorted for my o2 sim to work in it.

Only a minor niggle... It always starts and finishes with the Orange log. Not the end of the world, I know; but it would be nice to find a way of debranding the phone - for free.

Quite a while on google hasn't helped - short of buying an expensive box, or sending the phone away accompanied with a large payment. Being a cheapskate, I don't want to spend that money!

So, has anyone found a quick, easy and cheap method of debranding a KG800?

CtA

Like this post
belfman

Likes # 0

Turn the phone on & off with your eyes closed.

Like this post
merciarich

Likes # 0

Belfman - Very funny. Seriously, sarcasm is great.

CtA - You can "flash" the software to the generic software. Nothing that a Google search cant sort out, search for "debrand a KG800" or similar.
Maybe you could have a look at your local market? We have a stall at our market who unlocks and debrands practically everything, always worth a look.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I did have a good look through google - but couldn't see anything that I could use - even used the "debrand KG800" that you recommended. However, all the links I followed ended up as an unlock thread or to an expensive 'box' that would do the job.

My next stage is to hunt for one of these local guys and see if they can debrand and reflash the software becasue, for some peculiar reason, Orange have inhibited some functions in their branding!

I shall keep searching.

CtA

Like this post
merciarich

Likes # 0

I think looking in the local market/shops would be the best out of my two suggestions.

"Orange have inhibited some functions in their branding!"

Yup, its supposed to stop you from wanting to unlock/debrand :-)

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

That's my next (not quite so important) function in life... Explore local shops etc. I just need a Tardis to find a slot in my diary!

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I sent my phone off to be debranded. And it was a dream. I used click here and the service was very rapid and hassle-free. Add to that the reuse of my original packaging, but in a new jiffy bag - thus saving the environment, and I can heartily recommend this company for anything to do with the fixing (or whatever) of mobile phones.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days