We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mobile phone sound recording format puzzle

Pineman100

Likes # 0

In a previous thread (click here) I was trying to understand how to create a mobile phone ringtone from a PC sound file.

Well, to be honest, I got so frustrated trying to understand this process that I gave up!

Instead I tried using my mobile's sound recording function (its a Panasonic EB-VS6) to record a snatch of music that I could use as a ringtone.

The phone seems to have successfully recorded the music, but it has saved it in the format .amr. All of the phone's "built-in" ringtones seem to be in .mmf or .m4a. When I try to get the phone to play back the .amr file, the visual display shows it playing the file, but no sound can be heard.

Why on earth would my phone record a sound file in a format that, apparently, it cannot play back?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

^

Like this post
sandeepsingh

Likes # 0

Dear,
why dont you download a format converter; just google the internet for wavepad and the first site is the answer for you.

From Sandeep click here
For best deal on Memory cards, i recommend click here

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks sandeepsingh. I'll give your idea a try. But I would still like to know why my phone would record a sound in a format that it can't play!

It doesn't make much sense, does it?!

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

Ignore him (sandeepsingh), SPAMMER, FE Informed.

I am on a Roll.

David H.

Like this post
sandeepsingh

Likes # 0

Dear all,
Sorry for Breaking forums rules. I whole heartedly apologise to you all. I am not a spammer ; I am a same person like you all but only mistake i made was a signature at bottom. I whole heartedly apologise again to you all. I am a PC Advisor fan so dont through me out of the forum please !!!!!!!!!

Secondly, I had given a correct reply to this post.Dear, Pineman100 , I am also confused about why the phone records in a format it can't play. It is the first case I have seen when a phone does something like yours !!!!

Sorry again.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

This is all looking a bit messy. Best if I close the thread, I think.

Thanks guys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features