We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cost of Mobile Phone Internet Usage

superhoops

Likes # 0

10 days ago I got a new contract mobile on O2. I have sporadically tried the internet on it, possibly looked at 15 or so pages. Today I looked at my bill to date on the O2 website and saw that so far I have racked up £5.50 of internet usage. With costs like that I won't use the internet on the phone anymore. O2 do add-ons that might work out marginally cheaper but my question is- what is the point in putting internet browsers on the phones if you cant afford to use them?

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I have a sony ericsson k800 on pay as you go, and use the o2 £7.50 monthly bolt on mobile service to access the internet using the phone, which is what im on right now! It isnt unlimited-the o2 internet service for mobiles has a 200mb download limit. They did not previously charge people for going over the 200mb, but i think they may do so now. Im pretty sure because of the way it accesses the net it is impossible to connect a pc to it for monthly internet use unless i wish to be charged per minute whilst online!

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Ps if you have a sony ericsson or equivalent phone that can run jar files then you are better off downloading opera mini click here instead of using the built in browser, as it can compress pages much better so that you can view more within your 50-200mb limit. Websites should download faster. I thought £7 was alot for 200mb a month, i didnt realise some other networks gave even less mb for a similar amount of money. if you dont have pc access and use the net alot, opera mini is essential when you need to save as much of that as possible! I guess in a few yrs the mb limit will get better/bigger as phones get more advanced

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

I connect my phone to my laptop and get internet access when i am on the road during the day. Still never get anywhere the limits in a month. Not massively fast but certainly usable

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Superhoops- what phone have you got? I will guess that when you connect your phone to your laptop, you would normally be charged per minute, but you are getting it 'free' since you are on a contract? It would be good to get that but i dont know what the minimum contract is on o2, using my laptop on the train for the net via my mobile would be good... FatboySlim- a £30 limit is still alot of money if youre always close to it, youre definately better off paying £7 for a month of o2 net use on your phone!

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

I have the LG Viewty. With it comes some software that enables you to connect your mobile to your laptop. The £7.50 monthly charge is for up to 200mb. My contract monthly charge, apart from the £7.50 is £35 per month, but for that I get 800 minutes and 500 texts

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I have a 3 dongle in my laptop and get 3 Gig down/uploads per month. All for £10 p.m.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

ill prob go for a dongle eventually once the contracts go down in length, i dont fancy having to sign up to a 24 month+ contract, even if it is only 10 quid per month! It seems a dongle on pay as you go is pretty expensive, although 3 gig is ok in download limitation, and i prob wont get anything better on mobile net via dongle at the moment. ill just stick for now using this mobile phone, its £7 for the month on o2, and the phone compresses pages so i never go over the max download (i think its around a mere 200 mb). Only prob is in downloading software, something this phone isnt so good at. it tends to give up on large freeware (by that i mean anything over 3 mb! lol)-but then im not using it for files often, or on anything other than email at the moment anyway. thanks for the info everyone

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...