We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cost of Mobile Phone Internet Usage

superhoops

Likes # 0

10 days ago I got a new contract mobile on O2. I have sporadically tried the internet on it, possibly looked at 15 or so pages. Today I looked at my bill to date on the O2 website and saw that so far I have racked up £5.50 of internet usage. With costs like that I won't use the internet on the phone anymore. O2 do add-ons that might work out marginally cheaper but my question is- what is the point in putting internet browsers on the phones if you cant afford to use them?

Like this post
CatTrading

Likes # 0

I'm on PAYG & get 1MB a month for Internet Access.
I never use the full amount as i know it's so costly, as you have found out!

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Some people can afford it i suppose,maybe you should have checked before using it?

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

I have the LG Viewty. With it comes some software that enables you to connect your mobile to your laptop. The £7.50 monthly charge is for up to 200mb. My contract monthly charge, apart from the £7.50 is £35 per month, but for that I get 800 minutes and 500 texts

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Superhoops- what phone have you got? I will guess that when you connect your phone to your laptop, you would normally be charged per minute, but you are getting it 'free' since you are on a contract? It would be good to get that but i dont know what the minimum contract is on o2, using my laptop on the train for the net via my mobile would be good... FatboySlim- a £30 limit is still alot of money if youre always close to it, youre definately better off paying £7 for a month of o2 net use on your phone!

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

I connect my phone to my laptop and get internet access when i am on the road during the day. Still never get anywhere the limits in a month. Not massively fast but certainly usable

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

Hi. I suppose I was spoilt with my last contract with 3. I had 30mb free each month and never used more than a third of it. I dont want to spend all day surfing on a small screen but just the occasional look at the football news/ itn news etc. Thats why I was so shocked I had spent £5.50 already

Like this post
crazyc1

Likes # 0

If you are going to actually use the internet on your phone, it is worth getting a data bundle. After all, if you don't have any free sms in your bundle, the costs can also build up.

AFAIK, the best data packages are from T mobile and 3 (provided you get reception). T mobile do a Web n Walk at £7.50 or so that gives you up to 1Gb a month (Fair use policy). The equavlent O2 package has a 200mb limit, with vodafone coming in at 120mb per month. Orange's equivalent "unlimited" package gives you a measly 30mb per month. Orange are not really suitable for anything more than occassional surfing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks