We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cost of Mobile Phone Internet Usage

superhoops

Likes # 0

10 days ago I got a new contract mobile on O2. I have sporadically tried the internet on it, possibly looked at 15 or so pages. Today I looked at my bill to date on the O2 website and saw that so far I have racked up £5.50 of internet usage. With costs like that I won't use the internet on the phone anymore. O2 do add-ons that might work out marginally cheaper but my question is- what is the point in putting internet browsers on the phones if you cant afford to use them?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Some people can afford it i suppose,maybe you should have checked before using it?

Like this post
CatTrading

Likes # 0

I'm on PAYG & get 1MB a month for Internet Access.
I never use the full amount as i know it's so costly, as you have found out!

Like this post
crazyc1

Likes # 0

If you are going to actually use the internet on your phone, it is worth getting a data bundle. After all, if you don't have any free sms in your bundle, the costs can also build up.

AFAIK, the best data packages are from T mobile and 3 (provided you get reception). T mobile do a Web n Walk at £7.50 or so that gives you up to 1Gb a month (Fair use policy). The equavlent O2 package has a 200mb limit, with vodafone coming in at 120mb per month. Orange's equivalent "unlimited" package gives you a measly 30mb per month. Orange are not really suitable for anything more than occassional surfing.

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

Hi. I suppose I was spoilt with my last contract with 3. I had 30mb free each month and never used more than a third of it. I dont want to spend all day surfing on a small screen but just the occasional look at the football news/ itn news etc. Thats why I was so shocked I had spent £5.50 already

Like this post
rapieredge

Likes # 0

Tell you what, I nearly died when I got my last O2 Bill; My internet through Orange had died and Orange could not fix it for at least 30 days. So I switched to BT and my down time was about 3 weeks. During this down time for my broadband I used my mobile as a modem and connected virtually every day and checked my email, did a bit of surfing to see what I was missing on the download front etc... I reckon that I should have a bill for about £50 extra for that month, no, the total bill was £180 of which call charges were £4 and line rental was £35 per month.
You see thats a mother of a bill for using the internet.

Bloody Orange if they hadnt ballsed up the LLU and kept my account working I would have been OK. But with the cost of cancellation (had to pay my outstanding monthly contract of 7 months) and the huge O2 bill, what a expensive few months... You know I had been with Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve for at least 5 years. At least with BT my speeds are up (from 2.5 to 5-6mbs download)

Khal

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

O2 pay monthly customers are supposed to be able to surf UK for no more than £1 per day on the day/s that they have used there phones for surfing that is. I have read this on the O2 site, but I cannot seem to find it now.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

Just found an email I got from O2, basically I asked them about the O2 web daily promotion (this basically allows you to surf unlimited for no more than £1 per day on your phone). Below is the reply I got back off of O2.

"O2 Web Daily promotion. You won't be charged separately for using the Internet in separate sessions. You'll be charged a maximum of £1.00 including VAT (Value Added Tax) per day for the Internet usage. For example any usage under a 1/3Mb, you'll be charged for what is used.

If you use 1/3 Mb of data browsing daily, then you'll be charged as per the usage (£3.00 per Mb). If you use more than 1.0Mb a day, you'll just be charged £1.00 a day.

O2 Web Daily works really simple, if a customer uses 20p worth of data in a day, then the customer will be charged 20p. But, if a customer uses £8.00 worth of data in a single day, the charging stops at £1.00. This charging is set up for each day in the month, meaning a customer can't receive a bill for greater than £31 for data in a month."

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

Got unlimited o2 internet usage now for £7.50 per month. As well as using the internet on the mobile, I connect the mobile to the laptop when I am out and get internet on the laptop as well. Fab!

Like this post
rus_b1

Likes # 0

Two days ago I got a text from T-Mobile saying that for this week only I can use the mobile internet for free. Sweet, I thought - I use my phone as a modem occasionally, so I'm making full use of that right now.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

I've just checked my bill online and for as near as dam it to 3MB I was charged 85p (£1 with vat) so it would appear the O2 web daily promotion surf unlimited for no more than £1 per day on your phone is what I am getting.

Seems strange superhoops that you have been charged £5.50

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...