We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dial 112 for help

Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have received a well-meaning email which suggests;

1.That if you are in trouble you should dial 112 on your mobile as this goes straight to the police.

2. 112 should be used when you haven't got any signal and 999 can't be used.

I didn't know 112 went straight to the police but surely if you haven't got any signal you can't dial anybody! This information allegedly comes from Dorset Police.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

This is a myth, which has NOT been endorsed by Dorset Police and does NOT work!

Like this post
irishrapter

Likes # 0

112 is the European emergency phone number that can be used along with 999 in most European Countries.
click here for more info.

Like this post
irishrapter

Likes # 0

P.S

Just looked it up on Wikipedia click here

112 is used as an international GSM emergency number.

Quote from above link:

"The GSM mobile phone standard includes 112 as an emergency number, and in countries where 112 is not the standard emergency telephone number, GSM telephone users who make calls to 112 generally have their calls redirected to the local emergency telephone number, if it exists. This is valuable for foreign travelers, who may not know the local emergency number. Most GSM mobile phones can dial 112 calls even when the phone keyboard is locked, the phone is without a SIM card, or instead of the PIN."

Like this post
superhoops

Likes # 0

I have never understood how on my old phone if I was not in an area without good reception a message would come up on the display saying "Emergency use only". If there is no reception how would an emergency call work???

Like this post
irishrapter

Likes # 0

You use to see the old "Emergency use only" message as you most likely lost coverage with your cell provider (that you have the contract with) but still had coverage with a different cell provider.

Coverage has now been improved a lot on all networks so we don't see this message as much.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...