We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Switching from contract to PAYG

m800afc

Likes # 0

I have an O2 phone on contract. The contract ends on Jan 10 and in order to tempt me into a new contract I have been offered an upgrade, on December 10.
My circumstances have changed and I no longer need the mobile as much as I used to.
Is it possible to switch to PAYG, but to keep my old number? I am not bothered about staying with O2 and if it means changing to another provider so be it.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

They offered me an upgrade, which I refused, and then noticed that I have been using the same phone for quite a considerable time.

When I told them that I was happy with my current phone they offered me a new contract which was totally free, so long as I did not exceed my allocation. Over the Allocation, the calls were the same cost as PAYG.

I asked them how they made a profit on such a Deal, the reply was that they keep me on-board should my demand grow, in the future, and meantime they make a small turn from those that ring me.

Like this post
setecio

Likes # 0

Is this ever a problem, moving from contract to PAYG and keeping your number ?

If it is a problem, is it illegal for them to say it is a problem ?

Should they legally switch you over, and if not surely go PAYG with another company and immediately switch back to original company PAYG.

Like this post
ruskle

Likes # 0

Both me and my wife have mobile phones which we only use on odd occasions. We are with Virgin PAYG but have a D/D to pay at the month end, no monthly fee and they only take out what you use. hers was 38p last month and mine was £1.12. There are no set monthly upper or lower limits. Great if you don't need the mobile as much.

Russell

Like this post
LegoTestPilot

Likes # 0

I'm on PAYG with o2.
As long as i top up !5 per month i get 100 anytime minutes + 1MB of downloads.
It suits me to ba able to put on what i like per month.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

when she found that her contract was costing too much - there wasn't a problem, she still has the same number.

Like this post
@k@n!c

Likes # 0

yes there shouldnt be a problem doing this..i had an o2 contract which ended and they wanted me to upgrade but didnt want to but then they suggested a pay and go sim card and i could transfer my contract number over to it..took a week to get sim card and you recieve a code to quote to them to change numbers over..kind regards akanic

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia