We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why do people pay a fortune

cream.

Likes # 0

for a mobile phone.

All you want is to do is make the call or maybe a the odd text.

Mine cost £19.99 from asda and does the job.

Do you need more than that in a mobile?

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

As a person who goes away for long periods its a comforter.

I have a radio, jukebox, photoalbum, can watch home movies, its also an address book and I can phone home. I can access the internet,my emails and even watch TV. I can send photos home, take movies of unusual events and video call on those special occassions. All in a package that is smaller than the fags and lighter I used to carry around.

I don't think it's expensive either. I pay about £18 a month for 500 minutes, and a few hundred texts . I can call from various countries for no charge,using my inclusive minutes. My average call charge per month if I was on PAYG could be £40 and I would have to pay for the phone.

I upgrade every time because it costs nothing, better features, usually bigger storage and bettter camera. The phone is then handed down to the next in line and every one has an upgrade. The oldest phone is then re-cycled. This also means a better package for my Wife, who did not upgrade but got a better deal for £12 pm.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Cheapo mobile on payg is more than sufficient.

In any case, these modern new fangled contraptions only baffle the older generation. It took me a week to read the instruction books, and a further week to find the switch on buttons on my Sagem,Sendo and Motorola T180 mobiles ;o)

Why three!. I keep forgetting to charge them up, so one is bound to be fairly charged, in case of emergencies :O(

Like this post
lisa02

Likes # 0

I've owned over 70 different models!

I have to have the latest, but one I do not want is the iphone. Now that's over priced hype.

I need video, camera, mp3 and games the video and camera to capture moments with the kids, the games and mp3 for a bit of escapism. :P

A good solid design that allows quick texting and good call clarity aswell. It must look good too and be small enough to operate in one hand.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It would be a dreadful day if we (those of 39 and over) were ahead of them.

What could they do to show off and rebel with.

The only thing that makes me sad is that now all these special features are available, I no longer have any compelling need for them.

Like this post
March Hare

Likes # 0

I've had these arguments with my daughters who always seem to have the latest phone. They just smile gently and humour me, then produce the phone and show me new movies of my grandchildren - aww. . . bless!

When I advance the 'grumpy old git' argument that if I want to film anything I'll use my digital camera, they say "have you got it with you then?" which rather deflates me.

So now my feeling is it's horses for courses - I'll stick to my basic phone but continue to be amused and impressed when they show me a photo or movies on theirs.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Winter Fuel Allowance = 1/2 Case of Port

Dunn n'Dusted

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Legolas - you have made my day. I didn't realise that I was "young and trendy" because I have an almost all-singing mobile (actually I don't want it to sing!) The "almost all singing" bugs me as I contemplate my winter fuel allowance and wonder if I should spend it on an update rather that winter fuel.

Like this post
wasp15

Likes # 0

I agree with Si_L, I like to use a high-end mobile as I do tend to find its features convenient to use - especially the internet since I don't have access at home at the moment. However, I don't pay a fortune for mobile phones, I get them free with my contract, and I only pay £13 per month for that. (Admittedly I'd pay a lot more on pay as you go and the phone wouldn't be free.) I certainly wouldn't pay £260-odd for the iPhone, no matter how good it was, but if you are getting the phone for free then why not get a decent, good-looking one, that has lots of gadgetry should you ever need it?

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

For me, a mobile is a device that combines all the gadgetry that I need in one device: Phone, MP3 player, camera, hand-held games console, camcorder, radio, web access, and calender/alarm.

I can justify a big price tag for this reason. Buying these things separately would cost alot more.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Somewhere between the last two. This might seem strange but I am probably more fashion conscious now than when I was younger, I never really bothered then, definitely a sign of mid-life crises methinks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...