We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why do people pay a fortune

cream.

Likes # 0

for a mobile phone.

All you want is to do is make the call or maybe a the odd text.

Mine cost £19.99 from asda and does the job.

Do you need more than that in a mobile?

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

It depends what age you are, if you are more advanced in years then any phone will do, if you are young and trendy then only the latest all singing all dancing mobile will suffice. This isnt to suggest of course that you are not young and trendy ;)

Like this post
Huffster

Likes # 0

Couldn't agree more. Although I'm sure I count as young and trendy, I use my phone only for calls and SMS. So I really don't need to spend a fortune on a phone. The internet doesn't really work on mobile phones, and I have a separate digital music player/GPS.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Youth, even in my day, has always wanted the latest of whatever is the day's fad.

I can also state with confidence that it was the same when my mother was a teenager, in the 1920s, as we have had an almost identical conversation in the last five years.

Like this post
p;3

Likes # 0

sadly many now use it as a status symbol and will pay a relatively extortionate sum despite,as you say,one only really needs it to contact others

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Now just to destroy my first post. I am neither young or trendy but I do have a Nokia 5300 with MP3 Player, camera, radio and oh yes it makes phone calls as well. I used to carry these things separately so this phone saves me doing that.

I also agree with wee eddie the young always want the latest of whatever is going one of the reasons being that you would get a hard time from your mates if you suddenly whipped out a mobile phone the size of a house brick, or a pair of trainers only your grandad would wear.

Again having said that I have just realised my trainers are one of the latest styles by a well known trendy manufacturer.

Having just read this post I suddenly realise I must be going through my middle age crisis :)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Which Mid-life Crisis are you going through ~ 29, 39, 49 or 59.

I think that you must be terminally "Young at heart"

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Somewhere between the last two. This might seem strange but I am probably more fashion conscious now than when I was younger, I never really bothered then, definitely a sign of mid-life crises methinks.

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

For me, a mobile is a device that combines all the gadgetry that I need in one device: Phone, MP3 player, camera, hand-held games console, camcorder, radio, web access, and calender/alarm.

I can justify a big price tag for this reason. Buying these things separately would cost alot more.

Like this post
wasp15

Likes # 0

I agree with Si_L, I like to use a high-end mobile as I do tend to find its features convenient to use - especially the internet since I don't have access at home at the moment. However, I don't pay a fortune for mobile phones, I get them free with my contract, and I only pay £13 per month for that. (Admittedly I'd pay a lot more on pay as you go and the phone wouldn't be free.) I certainly wouldn't pay £260-odd for the iPhone, no matter how good it was, but if you are getting the phone for free then why not get a decent, good-looking one, that has lots of gadgetry should you ever need it?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Legolas - you have made my day. I didn't realise that I was "young and trendy" because I have an almost all-singing mobile (actually I don't want it to sing!) The "almost all singing" bugs me as I contemplate my winter fuel allowance and wonder if I should spend it on an update rather that winter fuel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen