We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPhone launch flops in UK

dms05

Likes # 0

How come the BBC were so taken in that they ran PR messages masquerading as hard news on main TV bulletins?

No one turned up for the 'event'. click here

Like this post
dms05

Likes # 0

Quote from elsewhere: Reliable channel sources tell us that Apple's exclusive UK operator has activated just 26,500 iPhones since its launch two weeks ago, well below the company's expectations.

And: So what are the numbers?

Carphone Warehouse, the main retail outlet for Apple's hot item, had taken stock of 50,000 iPhones, but had only managed to shift around 11,000 in the first weekend. O2 has over 400 stores and Apple just 12 in the UK. Phone industry sources estimated that 25,000 units might have shifted in that first weekend - but that now seems very optimistic.

Like this post
dms05

Likes # 0

silverous are you saying EDGE is as good as 3G? Or that the iPhone is OK when it's connected to WiFi rather than GPRS/EDGE? Either way EDGE/GPRS is a very inferior old technology that's been far exceeded by 3G. 02 hasn't even bothered to equip most of it's masts with EDGE (30% seems the most quoted figure for the percentage equipped) so the iPhone won't even have anything to connect to for data transmission in many areas.

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

The extent to which the speed of networks affect your enjoyment of the iPhone would depend on:

i) How often you are in the vicinity of wifi
ii) Whether you see much in gains between say GPRS/Edge and 3g. My experience of 3g coverage and speed, outside probably the very same areas that have wifi, has been mixed. Many web pages (if that's what we're talking about - youtube is an extreme case in terms of bandwith) will be fine on an iphone, as I experienced last weekend.

It depends what you want to surf and where really.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

By a play with one, I'm talking about the current model not the next one....really should look at what I write before submitting it.....like one of teachers used to say: "Think before you ink, before you write....."

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Apparently the new iphone with 3G speeds is due out in the Spring, possibly as early as March.....

I had a play with one in the US in September and wasn't overly impressed. It looks cool but I think I would be bored with it after a few days. The Lack of faster speeds of web access are the biggest letdown: it's all very well to be able to access YouTube from it, but people will get pretty fed up waiting for a vidoe to load each and evry time and especially after the novelty had worn off.

Not as many networks in the US have 3G let alone HDPSA (3.5G) which is why the phone has come out with only EDGE on it.

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Harsh :)

Like this post
lisa02

Likes # 0

rip off price for a bit of tacky plastic?

are you talking about the iphone? lol

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

I remember those days, without too much affection.

A grotto that should read "grotty", a Santa who's mouthwash should be done for false pretences, and a rip off price for a bit of tacky plastic.

Have thing improved any?

Like this post
lisa02

Likes # 0

I was not one of those queuing for the iphone. I'll admit I was one of the parents queuing for Santa!

Like this post
lisa02

Likes # 0

I was in the local shopping mall when this launched. Carphone closed for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to launch it. Outside there was a queue of exactly 3 people!

At the same time the mall was packed for the arrival of Santa and the Phones4u about 15 Metres away was packed full of customers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...