We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPhone launch flops in UK

dms05

Likes # 0

How come the BBC were so taken in that they ran PR messages masquerading as hard news on main TV bulletins?

No one turned up for the 'event'. click here

Like this post
powerless1

Likes # 0

Apple have to start somewhere...

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

It is fairly straightforward to list the well documented shortcomings of the iPhone as a phone to justify your suggestion, yet ignoring any aspects that are innovative in terms of technology hardly presents a well rounded argument.

I could counter lots of your points, for example re: "appalling battery life" - if the manufacturer's spec is to be believed the Apple apparently has double that of the N95. However, that isn't the point, I accepted the device had shortcomings but in my opinion to say it isn't innovative is not painting a complete picture.

I didn't suggest that the handsome exterior had anything to do with it, however the display, the interface (including such aspects as visual voicemail), the browser implementation (the shortcomings you highglight above excepted) and the incorporation of full iPod functionality into a phone are all innovative.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

Most PCA users seem unimpressed with the Apple iPhone:

click here

And it'll be a while before I'm shelling out £269 for a phone, and then signing up for a contract...

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

That seems to be the sensible approach right now.

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Just noticed you did prefix your assertion with "isn't particularly innovative", I had perhaps misread that as being "not innovative at all".

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think we're standing on the same playing field.

If I'm any judge Apple will rapidly ascend the learning curve as far as the phone side of things is concerned, and I have no doubt they'll tweak the next version extensively in the technical sense. I'm not adding this model to my Christmas list, that's for sure.

Like this post
silverous

Likes # 0

Me either, definitely not an early adopter in this case. In fact I'm not sure the form factor will ever be right for me as a touchscreen keyboard and relatively sizeable device isn't what I want from a phone.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

I've just noticed the phrase "visual voicemail"

Isn't that text, or have I been left behind (again!)?

Like this post
powerless1

Likes # 0

^

No it allows you to see who has left voicemail and select one to listen to. As opposed to being told you have voicemail and having to listen to them one after the other.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Wow! What a breakthrough!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...