We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My mobile wont go any more.......

Diemmess

Likes # 0

It is/was an Ericsson A1018s - PAYG and still has about a fiver credit.

The NiMh battery stubbornly sits @ 3.7v while saying it is a 4.8volt battery and there I suspect is the reason for it to play dead.

I have a mobile in case of emergency only, and Yes it does get used enough to phone home say something, and keep the account alive.

Disposal is not a problem, there are charity appeals galore.

Replacement is the problem.
I want to be able to see the numbers without glasses.

The dead one is connected with Vodaphone though Orange in this area seems better (on another younger Nokia).

Is it possible/worth it to swop the Simcard to a new phone just to keep the account with Vodaphone open and use the credit?

Which no-frills phone would you recommend?

I frankly do not want to bother with thumb-cracking texting, music in my ear, or taking photos.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I want to be able to see the numbers without glasses.

me too Large clear screen and no other frills required.

click here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

click here

recommendations at bottom of page

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ you obviously share my thoughts.

It seems that the market has not lived up to the expectations expressed by the Beeb news item.

I've spent a long time searching for the Sagem mobiles and had a phone chat with Vodafone.
The conversation went along the lines that the demand was so poor that the models had all been discontinued.
He added his own view that most new mobiles were good for about 2 years max. compared with 5 years or so in the past. "Its wrong" said he.

I think he had had a bad time with dud CD players, or with CD players which only worked for a short time before they had to be replaced.

So...... Since most mobiles shown on the net give no idea of actual size, I paid a brief visit to our local branch of Tesco (about as mean and understocked as they can go.
There were several I could use but most were out of stock.

Still, it made me see that if I buy a new one it would be worth paying a special visit to the county town and try carphone warehouse, Phones4U or one of the major stores there.

Another potential timewaster was a trawl for a replacement battery for the old 'un.
I found a British company listing the battery I want, but caution made me phone them first to check their stock.
The man who answered said try (another number) for details which he couldn't give.
This was a different firm, and the woman answering said they were upgrading their system and couldn't give me an answer, but if I emailed them I should get an answer but it might be a few days.

I did email, but my breathing continues without restraint and if I get a positive answer it will be a bonus!

Fortunatly we have a tiny Nokia which a daughter gave us when she upgraded.
The trouble is it has everything I don't want and typifies the reason for starting this thread!

Will post again to cap this story when something positive has been done

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

I'm sure that you can get a battery if that will solve your problem.
click here
click here
click here
click here

Like this post
alberto520

Likes # 0

The NiMh battery stubbornly sits @ 3.7v while saying it is a 4.8volt battery and there I suspect is the reason for it to play dead.
Yeah,I think the best way 2 solve ur problem is 2 get a new battery.click here

Like this post
alberto520

Likes # 0

Yeah,I think the best way 2 solve ur problem is 2 get a new battery.click here

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

This is almost a science museum candidate.
It dates to Ericsson (Sweden) before Sony swallowed them.

With nothing to lose, and realising the "slim" battery pack had room enough for 4 AAA batteries I managed to prise open the case.

Lo! there were 4 Toshiba (tagged) cells....
Replacements ordered this morning from Eurobatteries.

Originals were 650 mah, replacements are 800mah so if it works at all it should hold its charge a bit longer.

Will post when all is glued back together and running?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

All is glued back together and running!
Recycling will have to wait

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK