We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't find decent XP card reader !

Paul33

Likes # 0

I have an XP based machine and a couple of Kingston 16GB CF cards and I am wasting shedloads of money on card readers that simply won't read the cards ..... even though they claim to !

The only way I can download images is via the cameras which is slow.

Does anybody have a card reader that will definitely download 16GB cards to an XP machine or am I looking for the impossible ?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Is your HD (and the SD card) formatted to NTFS? If either is FAT32 the maximum file size is 4Gig. Sorry if you have already thought of this. I have found similar problems and only use smaller SD cards of 20 Gig (plenty for my photo needs.)

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

You could buy a few of these for very little money

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-60-72-92-Single-Slot-Reader/dp/B000TD50ZS

If you read the reviews they may not be the most reliable devices but they are very low cost and as least one of the reviews stated they worked on an XP machine

Cheers HC

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

Thank you - might take a look

Like this post
thegatekeeper

Likes # 0

I got a generic card reader from the computer store and it works just fine. Don't know why yours isn't mate!

Maybe the memory card is defective?

Clive Bokley @ Diablo 3

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites