We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

gold plated audio jack connectors give echoed output-how common is this?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am absolutely certain now that this is the cause. I have had echo with virtually no vocal at all using this laptop using my samsung headphones-it has annoyed me for a very long time as my stereo system using the same headphone jack socket, worked perfectly. You can revert to leaving the headphones halfway out of the socket, in which the vocal can then be heard, but the bass and much of the sound overall will still be missing.

I think I have now worked out the cause-I have many headphones for a test. All my working headphones (and my stereo system) use a silver jack connector, and all the ones giving an echoed output with almost no vocal use a gold plated jack. I am guessing its because the realtek sound/motherboard inside the system is of an older variety that just isnt compatible with gold plated ones, but how common is this? Has anyone experienced it? I am pretty certain that the gold and silver audio quality difference isnt a mere co-incidence XD

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry for double post, thought the first link wouldn't work.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I think you both got it, I must have surely bought Samsung headphones that only go with mobile devices, and didnt realize it-im not sure how I managed that as I usually read the description before buying anything from argos, lol. The confusion was there as my mobile phone works with both gold and silver phone jacks in my image. Perhaps thats just out of luck :D The majority of posts online of users with echoed headphone music with no vocal are surely then from users attempting to use mobile headphones in their computers. I still do wonder if its possible at all for some mobile headphones to work on other systems-Im sure im wrong, but Ill probably attempt one last test on another pc to see if its not just an incompatibility (depite knowing the likely truth) XD

At first I thought I was simply attempting (and failing) to use 2.5mm mobile phone gold headphones on a laptop that only accepted 3.5mm, and I just couldnt see the slight difference in size, but I now know all my gold ones are in fact 3.5mm. I have proof as ive just found my mobile phone manual and its headphones, lol-and they are stated as being 3.5mm also according to the manual, and match the gold ones in my image, with the 3 strips. So there seems to be a difference between 3.5mm mobile and 3.5mm 'standard' headphones, despite it not being the most obvious one, since they both fit in any 3.5mm jack.

I will never buy headphones again :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses