We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

gold plated audio jack connectors give echoed output-how common is this?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am absolutely certain now that this is the cause. I have had echo with virtually no vocal at all using this laptop using my samsung headphones-it has annoyed me for a very long time as my stereo system using the same headphone jack socket, worked perfectly. You can revert to leaving the headphones halfway out of the socket, in which the vocal can then be heard, but the bass and much of the sound overall will still be missing.

I think I have now worked out the cause-I have many headphones for a test. All my working headphones (and my stereo system) use a silver jack connector, and all the ones giving an echoed output with almost no vocal use a gold plated jack. I am guessing its because the realtek sound/motherboard inside the system is of an older variety that just isnt compatible with gold plated ones, but how common is this? Has anyone experienced it? I am pretty certain that the gold and silver audio quality difference isnt a mere co-incidence XD

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Always thought that gold gave a better connection only. Have a look at this, http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/recording-techniques/gold-vs-silver-jacks-309702/

Possibly a duff jack.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

It's a faulty jack. Nothing to do with it being gold.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

rdave-I saw that link before, but thanks anyway :) ton+rdave-a faulty connector on the laptop did seem likely at first, but if so, why do all my headphones with silver jacks work fine with no issues? its a bit of a coincidence that (if you include the speaker system) my 3 silver jack connectors work perfectly, and the laptop gives perfect output, yet the 2 gold ones do not, with all 5 using the same headphone socket. The gold jack headphones work in any other compatible device, so I know that all my headphones work 100%.

I may need to try more silver headphones to find out if its possible that gold plated jack connectors may not be compatible with some laptops audio hardware. I dont know how common, or how possible this could be. Im not sure if the gold plated ones have ever worked with this system before, as I hardly use headphones with this laptop-so Im not ruling out a possible audio driver issue either (although a removal-reinstall made no difference).

thanks

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Probably the gold ones are very slightly different in size or shape in some way.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If the gold jack headphones work in other machines then the the socket in the laptop is the weakest link.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

absolutely identical in length, but there is another difference-the gold headphone jack connectors have 3 seperations, and the silver ones have 2, check my image here: http://i40.tinypic.com/259j11e.jpg

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's a different jack. Find out from the website you got the images from what they are specifically for. Nowt to do with gold or silver then.

Like this post  
theDarkness

Likes # 0

you are right, I will need to search for identical connections online to verify that. If it truly is a problem with the jack shape, despite it connecting ok, my first guess was that the gold headphones I have are primarily for mobile phones or mp3 players, but.. I bought the gold jack samsung headphones I have here in argos, which I was sure were labelled as to be used in any 3.5mm headphone device. To confuse matters more, when I search for gold headphones for mobile and mp3 players, I get the same shape connectors as the silver with the 2 seperations. Perhaps the gold one with the 3 strips as above is a newer headphone type, that just isnt compatible with this laptop and nothing more, which would indicate that the hardware is old and so wont recognize it fully-I get the music, but almost no vocal :) If I take the gold headphone out of the socket halfway, I get the voice, but not all of the sound.

I have found similar issues here, the second also notably realtek:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-412724-music-but-no-voices-play-in-headphones

http://www.camcorderanswers.com/f13/music-but-no-limited-vocals-wierd-6363/

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Looks like an mp3 player or ipod jack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micropix-3-5mm-Stereo-iPhone-players/dp/B0030ISSF8/ref=sr19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330129483&sr=1-9

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings