We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What cable do I need to connect a laptop to a TV?

belcanto

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I hope that someone can help..a freind of mine has beengiven a laptop in wehich the screen does not work properly. It was suggested to her that she attach the laptop to the TV and net surf that way until she can afford to get the laptop screen fixed.

As I understand it, her TV is an old fashioned CRT with both scart and s-video connecters. So can anyone let me know which cable would be most suitable for her to get

TIA
Belcanto

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

but check the connectors at both ends before getting the cable. Most laptops have a 7-pin connector, and some TVs only have a 4-pin.

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

Thanks for the prompt reply, all the ones i have seen on both Ebay and Amazon have been quite short. I dont think she wants to have to surf the net/write a word document while crouched next to the TV. Do you know if they do any s-video leads between 1.8 and 2.00 meters?

Thanks
Belcanto

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Have a look at CPC click here

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

The tv has not got a VGA connector...btw once the cable has been set up how does she go about getting a picture of what's on the laptop to the tv? What channel does she need to be on?

Thanks for the help given so far
Belcanto

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Depending on the laptop, you may have a key with a small screen on it, and on the side of the laptop an output for an external monitor.

This key is activated by a key combination, which will disable the internal monitor and activate an external one, see link click here.
This may help.
Terry

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses so far to my query, it occured to me last night that I should check as to wether the screen really is beyond the pale. It might just be a loose connection or maybe the inverter just needs replacing..will have a fiddle and poke and then get back with the results....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features