We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking to build my first Gaming PC

Gravy97

Likes # 0

I've always been a console gamer, Xbox 360, because of my mates and affordability. But over the last couple of years I've been wanting to get into PC gaming because of the modding community, the graphics and, of course, steam. However, being honest, I never really understood half of the things that were being said and all the technical details confused me haha. But I've attempted to piece together a PC but I have no idea whether it will be any good or whether it would actually work. I'll give you guys the components:

• 8818R - CiT Vantage Type-R Gaming Case Black HD 4x120mm Red Fans Card Reader w/o PSU
  • AMD A8 6600K Black Edition, 100W, FM2, 4MB cache, 4300MHZ
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked NVIDIA Graphics Card - 2GB
  • Corsair CP-9020015-UK CX 750W Power Supply 80+ Bronze (PSU)
  • Seagate 1TB SATA 3 Performance Hard Drive OEM ST1000DM003
  • Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 AMD 970 AM3+ Motherboard
  • LiteOn IHAS124-04 24x SATA Half Height Internal DVDRW Drive - Black
  • Corsair Memory Value Select 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) Dual Channel Desktop

I also need to get either Windows 7 64Bit OEM or Windows 8 OEM.

I will be very grateful if anyone suggests any alternatives that may save me some money or anything I have included that seems unnecessary. These components add up to £597. I do not want to spend more than £600 in total and the cheaper the better really. I do not need a monitor as I hope to use my TV but I do need a wireless mouse and keyboard for relatively cheap if possible.

As I said i'm open to any and all suggestions as I am new to this and need all the help I can get really lol.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 1

A few suggestions:

(1).Your GTX660 isn't very power hungry so a 500W PSU is sufficient.

(2).Use the money saved to get this wireless keyboard/mouse bundle.

(3).Your << Corsair Memory Value Select 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) Dual Channel Desktop>> is the wrong type of Ram for your AM3+ mobo, get this Kingston DDR3 Ram instead.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I would recommend 8gb ram not 4gb as listed

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

mart7 Quoted: <<I would recommend 8gb ram not 4gb as listed>>

True but I need to watch out for Gravy97's under £600 budget, I've just saved him/her around £30 by downgrading the PSU & spent that on a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Switching from the 4GB DDR2 Ram to 4GB DDR3 saving him/her probably another £20 which he/she can use to purchase the Win7/8 & I think 4GB Ram is enough to get it going until later should a Ram upgrade is imminent.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

As the poster is purchasing a 64 bit os i would purchase the ram if they can extend the budget especially as he/she is buying the pc for gaming,the new COD ghosts game requires 6mb so i have read

Like this post
Gravy97

Likes # 0

Thank you guys for replying to my post and making suggestions to help improve my plan :D I am very grateful.

Just wondered whether this setup is good enough to play games like BF4, Minecraft and Skyrim with decent graphics and framerates. Obviously I don't expect it to be amazing, I just it will be able to handle these types of games.

Or if you guys recommend a certain setup or a pre-built PC for under £600 I will be chuffed. I also want to be able to plug my PC into my TV because I don't have a monitor so please tell me if I need to make any changes. As I said i'm very new to PC gaming and are open and grateful to any suggestions :)

Thanks again guys :)

Like this post
Gravy97

Likes # 0

Might actually buy a pre-built PC instead :/ I've found this one which seems alright, could someone who knows more tell me whether it is worth it please? :D

click here

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

weak graphics card and processor This one here has a faster processor and better graphics card but you would need to purchase the operating system

click here

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

wrong link

click here

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If you or can get your mates to help you build your first PC then it might be a good idea doing so ,any good warranty is still down to the mercy of PC maker's survival.

Here are some components suggestion from eBuyer:

Coolermaster K350 Case and Elite 500W PSU Bundle @ £54.98

Asus H81M-C Socket 1150 @ £42.81

Intel Core i5 4570 3.20GHz @ £146.52

MSI GTX 660 2GB @ £136.49

Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 @ £63.34

Seagate 1TB Internal Hard Drive @ £48.71

LiteOn IHAS122 22X SATA DVD±RW/DL Black Bare Drive - OEM @ £11.98

Microsoft Windows 8.1 DVD OEM- 64- Bit @ £72.98 or Win7 64bit

Logitech Wireless Keyboard-mouse MK270 @ £25.62

Total comes to £603.43 with supersaver free delivery & don't forget you may need a HDMI cable to connect to your TV.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination