We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where is cache stored on my computer

Clive of India

Likes # 0

Hi Everyone

I really could do with some help, I use to download video clips mainly on diy topics and car repair stuff. I downloaded them just in case I needed to refer to them again and maybe they’d been taken off the internet or if the internet was down I would still be able to view them.

I used RealPlayer to download them with but for some reason the latest version of RealPlayer doesn’t seem to work. I had a look around on the net for any information concerning the problem and came across the topic below.

YOU DON’T REALLY NEED ANY OF THESE PROGRAMS AND USING THEM IS JUST A WASTE OF TIME & BANDWIDTH.. Most of the time you decide whether you want to save a particular video or not is taken only after you have seen the video and liked it. So when you decide to save it using any of these tools, you would essentially be downloading the same video twice. A better alternate is to open the cache file of your browser and find the *.tmp file that corresponds to the size of the video.. (if you sort it by size, it would mostly show up at top)..copy this tmp file to the folder you want to save and rename the extention as *.flv.. The only thing you need to take care is not to close the tab/window of the web page before copying the tmp to a safe directory.

I’m using Windows 7 with FireFox 25.0.1, can someone please tell me where I would need to look for my cache files, I’m assuming it’s not the same as clicking on tools, options, privacy and clicking remove history.

My computer as a tera bite hard drive which is split into two hard drives local disk C and local disk D.

Any help would be much appreciated

Clive

Like this post
Clive of India

Likes # 0

Lotvic

I’m back again

I’ve been into the FireFox Tools, Add-ons and found I’m running on Shockwave Flash 11.9.900.152.

I’ve also looked under the content tab but can’t see a box for Java which as you say would indicate I don’t have it. However when I looked in the Add-ons manager window there are two listed the first one is Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.450.18 is known to be a vulnerable. Use with caution. NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java (TM) Deploy Ask to Activate.

The second one is Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U45 10.45.2.18 Next Generation Java Plug-in for Mozilla browsers Always Active.

I next downloaded the video helper and tried their little test video but still got an error message, I can’t see video helper in the add-ons list or on the toolbar, but if I click Tools it appears in the drop down list, so I assume I have downloaded it correctly or am I doing something wrong.

Sorry to sit you down and shine a light in your eyes but if you can suggest anything further or tell me if I’ve not downloaded video helper correctly don’t hesitate to tell me.

Cheers

Clive

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What was the error message? Check your settings, Video downloadHelper User manual click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes