We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blu Ray support / windows 8

PresumingEd

Likes # 0

Hi

I have just bought the following laptop as a gift for my girlfriend.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5089071/c1/1%7Ccategoryroot%7CTechnology%7C33006169/c2/2%7C33006169%7CLaptops+and+PCs%7C33007795/c3/3%7Ccat_33007795%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C33014243.htm

It is advertised as Windows 7 but in fact comes with Windows 8. It doesn't have a disk drive so I am looking at buying an external USB one and the idea of a Blu Ray drive is appealing to allow us to watch blu-ray films on the go (in hotel rooms etc).

I understand that Windows 8 does not natively support any form of DVD or Blu Ray playback.

In short I just want to know what I need to play Blu Rays on the laptop as cheaply as possible and if the machine I have bought even has the hardware (BD ROM drive notwithstanding) to handle the task.

Thanks

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

The link does not work So post back with Make and model, also inc details of graphics card

Find it very strange this does not have a disc drive?

Wins 8 does not have support for DVD or Media Centre, so even if you purchase a USB external drive, Most come with a disc for installation how will you install it?

If you purchased it as a Win 7 I would suggest you contact, and ask why it is not as advertised ?

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

I think this computer hasn't got a DVD or CD drive because it's a 11.6" Mini Laptop, a bit like an oversized netbook?

Perhaps a small DVD player might be the answer to this problem?

Hopefully the link below might work.

HP DM1 11.6 Inch Beats Audio Mini Laptop. 508/9071 Argos Mini-Laptop Link

Peter.

Like this post
PresumingEd

Likes # 0

Thanks Peter that's the link I meant.

I'd rather not buy a small DVD player as I'm looking for a drive to use with the netbook. Mainly to allow for disc writing and putting CDs onto windows media player / itunes. The blu-ray capability would be a bonus which I'm researching the feasability of.

I would have imagined that the drivers needed to recognise a USB disc drive would have a delivery method other than a disc otherwise wouldn't that defeat the purpose of many of these external drives? If not I could always copy the drivers from the disc onto another media like a pen drive using my other laptop.

Like this post
PresumingEd

Likes # 0

Thanks Peter that's the link I meant.

I'd rather not buy a small DVD player as I'm looking for a drive to use with the netbook. Mainly to allow for disc writing and putting CDs onto windows media player / itunes. The blu-ray capability would be a bonus which I'm researching the feasability of.

I would have imagined that the drivers needed to recognise a USB disc drive would have a delivery method other than a disc otherwise wouldn't that defeat the purpose of many of these external drives? If not I could always copy the drivers from the disc onto another media like a pen drive using my other laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features