We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help with a computer new build

DAN230209

Likes # 0

Hi i am currently in the process of a new computer build project, of which have never done one before so am reasonably green at some of the lingo im after a reasonably high end gaming machine of which some of the parts i have already bought or in the process of buying I.E purchased case zalman z11 plus motherboard sabertooth 990fx r2.0 CPU amd fx8350 parts that i have decided on but am yet to buy are graphics card asus gtx660ti memory corsair vengance ddr3 4x8GB hard drive western digital 2TB and a SSD Drive i will be hopefully running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. the difficulty i am finding is a decent CPU cooler for this gaming machine and what size power supply i will need much help appreciated.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It does help us if you post an overall budget. I would suggest for decent gaming components then Intel is the better option. Sorry I see that you have bought motherboard and CPU.

You certainly do not need all that rRAM 8GB is more than enough for a decent gaming rig. If you can afford it then the GTX 670 or if you want to stay with AMD then the 7970. PSU nothing more than 600W as that is plenty and modular means less cables cluttering up the inside of your case.

You will probably find a 128GB SSD is more than enough for your operating system and can I suggest 2 x 1TB HDD's one for your games and the other for your Docs,Music pictures ETC.

Like this post
DAN230209

Likes # 0

thanks thats a great help i looked at £1300 overall price any advice on a cpu cooler

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I'll suggest a few, and all of these I have used myself at one time or another.

If you fancy a closed loop water cooling system then the Antec Khuler 920 This comes with software to control fan speed which is useful simple if you want to turn the fan down or up.

Or the Corsair H100i Hydro Probably the best closed looped system around.

Or if you prefer an air cooler then there's the Noctua NH-D14 or Cogage Arrow but most of these are big and assume that you will be overclocking your CPU. To be honest A freezer Pro of A Coolermaster Hyper Evo are very good if you do not intend to overclock much or not at all.

I think I would choose the Antec myself as I am a big fan of this cooler.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer