We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't email a scanned document

butterball160

Likes # 0

I get an error message from Outlook Express every time that I try to send a scanned simple document. I have tried all of the suggestions on the Internet with no success. I have sent it as an attachment on my email and it still came up as an error. I have reduced the pixel size...no success. All of my other emails are fine...just sending these scanned items. I also tried everything from the operation manual for the scanner. No luck. Any other suggestions?

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

I set this up and everything worked fine. But this says that it is using Outlook Express to collect Roadrunner email addresses. If I don't pay the provider to the Outlook Express, I won't have it...Outlook Express, that is. When I contacted Outlook Express directly a few days ago, they were going to charge me $99. I just don't understand this. Have I set up a RR account that will collect any email sent to my old address, but it will appear on a RR email page?

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

Lotvic: I think this is my problem. My email address ends with hmcltd.net which is the service provider that I have had for many years and am now leaving to go with Time Warner service. So it is hmcltd.net that is charging me to let me keep that address.....does that make sense?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Are you running a Windows PC, a Linux one or maybe a Mac?

Outlook Express is the E-Mail program built into Windows, it has changed names a couple of times but it is able to receive almost any Companies mail.

Times Warner is your ISP and their House e-mail is called Road Runner, I suppose.

If you have a Windows PC then Outlook can harvest your e-mail from any supplier and is free. If you are running a Mac, or Linux OS, that might explain the charge for Outlook Express.

I must admit you have me confused.

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

Well, I am confused, too. I have Windows XP on my computer. It is my business computer. I do several trade shows throughout the year and my email address is on the flyers and brochures. Many customers contact me from old brochures using that email. I don't want to lose that email address suddenly. I can work this out over time and then switch to a new email....if necessary....I really love Outlook Express as compared to gmail or yahoo or road runner. So, I want to keep Outlook Express however I have to do it. I did not keep it for the main computer which has a different email address but from the same hmcltd.net. They closed that email account today, and it can't be used with Outlook Express. The user name and password won't work either, so I can't do much with it. I have set that computer up with both Road Runner and gmail and it works just fine.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You seem to be getting confused. Outlook Express is just a program on your computer and it can get emails from any provider and stores them on your computer. Your e-mail addresses are provided by an outsider contractor - usually an ISP. Gmail is a web mail - stores the mails on a remote server not or your PC -but the can also be collected by OE to give you local storage on your computer.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Your e-mail address that is causing grief...... don't put your bit here, but tell us what the generic name is.

e.g the bit after the @. For example: xxxx@gmail.com or xxxx@hotmail.com or xxxx@roadrunner.com

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

" So it is hmcltd.net that is charging me to let me keep that address.....does that make sense?"

Yes that makes sense. But Please note that it has nothing to do with Outlook Express. It is because you are wanting to cancel paying hmcltd.net for DialUp or ADSL internet access (through your phone line) - and they don't provide free email, if you want to keep that email address you have to keep paying them http://www.hmcltd.net/access/local.asp even though you have chosen to stop using your phone line to connect to the internet.

That is why it is best to have an independent email address so that it doesn't matter who your ISP is or how you connect your pc to the internet.

I strongly suggest you look at what gmx.com email addresses have to offer, you will never have to change your email address again and you can send and receive using Outlook Express on your XP pc and also use the Webmail or IMAP sync of folders. It does not matter who/which ISP you use.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Try a little trick- I use.

Create the email in the normal way, but instead of using the attachment option- do this.

Reduce the size of Outlook Express to half screen. Open the folder where the file is stored and drag and drop it into the main body of Outlook. This will automatically load itself as an attachment with the same size as the original.

Terry

Like this post
butterball160

Likes # 0

Okay, my problem for sending a scanned document by email has been solved by changing to gmail on my main computer and it is sending the scanned document successfully. My second problem of keeping my xxxx@hmcltd.net email address can only be solved by paying the outside contractor:Cros-net for that service. So I can pay that fee until I feel that I have reached my customers with my new email address. If I want to keep Outlook Express for my email account, I am assuming that I have to just set up an account with them. When I tried to do that a few days ago, they told me that it would cost $99. So, I will try that again and see if I can get a free account. I just clicked on a free download and it would have an email address of xxxx@outlook.com I did not sign up so I don't know if the same page style that I like with Outlook Express would come up with that one. I did click on a free Outlook Express account yesterday and downloaded it, and a pop-up said that it could not be installed as I already had a more advanced Outlook Express installed! I guess that I am still confused.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No guessing needed, you are definitely confused :) I'll have a looksee later as have to go out now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded