We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SKY+ Is Full - AM Getting HD box on Friday - can I transfer my saved programmes?

Whitekirk Pinky

Likes # 0

As the title suggests, I am getting a SKY HD box on Friday - my current 1st Gen SKY+ box is almost full of programmes I have yet to watch - is there anyway - USB or otherwise, that I can transfer these to the new box - SKY Says no - which is not ideal.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You might want to change your 'User name' to something other than your email address.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You can copy the contents of one drive to another, but this would involve opening up both your boxes, and hence voiding the warranties. THIS is the software to do it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"SKY Says no - which is not ideal"

Nevertheless, it's a fact. I do not advise opening either of the boxes to attempt the transfer. You'll be in breach of your contract with SKY, and as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, you'll void the warranty on the boxes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Read through this thread on avforums.com which asks the same question as you and seems to cover all the options. (None of which mean opening any boxes)

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

The thread on avforums is VERY VERY old. I'd ignore the suggestions made as Sky have changed many things in the past 7 years. I would however suggest you post on www.skyuser.co.uk which is an independent self help community of Sky users.

The question you ask has been asked many times and the answer always involves taking the two drives out of the boxes and copying files when the two boxes use the same OS. However you have a problem as the Sky+ box and the Sky+HD box use different OS's and that makes the whole project more difficult.

Ask on Sky User and you will find lots of people who really know what the chances are.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

dms_05, the thread I linked to might in your opinion be "VERY VERY old" it is dated 2007. However Whitekirk Pinky did say "my current 1st Gen SKY+ box"

I think the best solution is to keep the old box as 'mbren26' did in the thread I linked to:

"I had HD installed on saturday. It replaced the sky+ box in the lounge. I had the sky+ box moved upstairs to the bedroom (where i already had a standard box) i used the viewing card that was in the + box for the HD box and the card that was in the standard box in the + box in the bedroom. I can still watch all the programmes recorded on the + box even though it is a different card that was in the box when they were recorded."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings