We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to delete adminastrators name from net book

BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi all.

My grandson gave me his net book but his name is still as the adminastrator and is password protected, so if i have to download i have to keep putting his password in is there a way i can get rid of his name and password,and install myself as the adminastrator,(Runing windows 7 Aspire one net book.)

Thanks In Advance.

BIGXXH.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you mean his user account with Administrator Rights? you can remove the password. Open windows Control Panel and in the top right corner of this window, next to View by, select Large icons from the dropdown box and then open User Accounts. Click the link 'Remove your password', enter the current password and then click the 'Remove Password' button.

Next you could create your own user account with your name and Administrator Rights and then disable his.

If you mean the built-in Administrator account (usually hidden to protect it) then post back for advice.

Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic

Thanks for your help,i have tried all your sugestions but 5they did not work so i think it;s the hidden password that i need to remove.

Thanks Again BIGXXM
Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic

Thanks for your help,i have tried all your sugestions but 5they did not work so i think it;s the hidden password that i need to remove.

Thanks Again BIGXXM
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Before you delve into the systems Admin password. Can you tell us what you have actually done? Saying "they did not work" is not enough information to get a picture of present setup.

For instance did you and do you still have to logon with son's password and is that the same password you are having to enter to give permission for downloads?

In User Accounts, how many accounts are there and what level are they? (do any have Admin rights or ?)

Have you reduced the level on the UAC settings?

Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic

Istill have to logon with my grandsons password and still have to use it if i want to download anything,there are two names in user accounts mine and the grandson mine is there as a standard user and the grandson as administrator I can't reduce anything in UAC as it will not allow me the box says only administrator is allowed to alter any settings hope that's what you were looking for.

Thanks Again
                      BIGXXH
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Your info a bit sparse, but I'll have a go..

Log off your account.

Log on son's account and Open windows Control Panel and in the top right corner of this window, next to View by, select Large icons from the dropdown box and then open User Accounts. Click the link 'Remove your password', enter the current password and then click the 'Remove Password' button.

Close the Netbook down and reboot. The following step is to check that the password has been removed.

On the logon screen showing your son's and your account, click on your sons name (no password to enter this time) Open windows Control Panel and in the top right corner of this window, next to View by, select Large icons from the dropdown box and then open User Accounts.

click on the user (that means your standard user account), a screen with various options will appear. Click the link that says Change the account type. You will see a new screen with two options: Standard user (which is the present one selected), and Administrator, with some description text under each. Select Administrator and click the button labeled Change Account Type. Now, the account should be an administrator. Further info if you need it ClickHere

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Now you can log off your grandson's account and log on to yours and it should say you are administrator.

Let us know how you get on and if you want advice to do anything else.

Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic

Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic

Like this post
BIGXXH

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic