We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow running Toshiba Satellite U940 -100 Ultrabook core i3 1.75, 500GB 4MB

Jess May

Likes # 0

I just got a new laptop with the above specs and windows 8. When online working in google docs and streaming music from grooveshark it gets really slow and sticky in google docs which I didn't expect, pretty sure its not the internet connection. Im sure windows 8 is running loads of rubbish I don't need it to but not sure what! I expected it to be smoother...I also want to edit music on it and am wondering if windows 8 is the best operating system for me? I dont like at the mo! Any tips on what stuff I can turn off or other OS you can recommend to keep it tip top ?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I very much doubt that Windows8 is to blame.

You say you are "pretty sure its not the internet connection", but what makes you so sure? Both the uses you describe rely heavily on internet bandwidth to run smoothly, and if there isn't enough you will get the slow response times you mention.

Windows 8 is unlikely to be running "loads of rubbish I don't need", but your new laptop may well have stuff on it that fits that description. Take a look at the Windows8 start screen and see what software is installed. Right click or tap on the screen and select 'All apps' as well. You'll see everything that came with the computer, and you can uninstall anything you don't need

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer