We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need help with building a gaming computer

metric man
Resolved

Likes # 0

so my main problem with building a gaming computer is the fact that I live in Brazil, where it's almost impossible to create your own computer because of the price's of the parts. I'm going to visit London sometime in 2013 and while I'm there I'd like to buy the core parts for a gaming computer. The keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc. I can buy later on but the CPU, graphics card, RAM, etc. I need to buy while I'm there (few weeks probably). My price range is around 500-600 pounds for just the computer. I know little about the best components for the best price and would appreciate anyone's advice :)

TL;DR:

i need to buy a computer with price range of around 500-600 pounds with no "external" parts (headphones, keyboards, etc.) and would appreciate any advice.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Could you list exactly what components you are looking for this will make it easier to help you.

I assume you will be looking for:

CPU.

Graphics card (GPU.

RAM.

Motherboard.(Mobo}

Hard-drive (HDD)

What about SSD and power supply unit(PSU), what about a case? Operating system?

Like this post
metric man

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd yes the things you listed are the things I'm looking for. The operating system I plan on getting is windows 7 home premium and I heard that having a good PSU is a must for gaming computers so I'd like to get a good quality PSU. I don't have any preferences about cases, just one that is able to fit all the parts properly. I've heard that SSD's are expensive and don't no much of the benefits of having one, so I plan on just getting a regular hard drive with around 500-1000mb.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The operating system is going to take a chunk of your cash, around £75 so getting a decent spec for £500-600 will be interesting. I will come back when I have managed to get a choice or to together.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The only place I can come up with in London is YoYoTech. Who are not the cheapest. Scan and Ebuyer are cheaper.

Here's a quick build from YoYoTech.

Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V, Micro ATX Motherboard £47.09 (inc VAT)

i5 3330 Intel Skt 1155 3.0Ghz 6MB Cache Retail CPU - BX80637I53330 £139.92 (inc VAT)

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport £33.55 (inc VAT)

Fractal Design Define Mini micro-ATX £71.99 (inc VAT)

1TB 3.5" Seagate Barracuda £54.99 (inc VAT)

Samsung 24X DVD+/-RW Sata £14.99 (inc VAT)

Microsoft Windows Home Premium 7 SP1 64-bit OEM DVD- £89.99 (inc VAT)

500W Corsair Builder Series Power Supply £46.99 (inc VAT)

HD7770 1Gb Sapphire 1150MHz 640 Cores OC 5000MHz GDDR5 28nm GPU Dual Link DVI-I HDMI 2x mini DisplayPort PCI-E £104.41 (inc VAT)

Total £603.92.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Had a few more thoughts.

You could save a tenner by going for the 430W Corsair Builder Series PSU, as that rig won't need much power at all, and I'd also be tempted to drop the CPU down to an i3 of some flavour, again saving another £20-30 or possibly more. Gaming still doesn't demand a quad core, so a fast dual will do the job (especially when the other components are of an equivalent level).

The savings would mean perhaps a H77 motherboard or a better graphics card.

Like this post
metric man

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply :) I just have a few more questions, like if I need to buy an expensive air cooler for this system or what type of sound card I should get. Also I've heard that there are special components regarding overclocking that are important to have and wanted to know if you have to have them if you want to overclock your system. These "extra" parts that I mentioned I may not have the money to buy with this system and would probably buy later on, I just want some advice about how much I should spend. Also could I buy these parts in separate stores to try and get a lower price tag or do I need to order it from the same store?

Like this post
metric man

Likes # 0

i think changing to an i3 core would be a good idea, but I'd like to continue adding parts in the future and I don't know if going for a cheaper PSU would be a good idea, but it's just intuition.

I also want to thank you for searching these components to help me :)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You do not need a sound card as onboard sound is good enough these days.

With this motherboard you cannot overclock if you want to overclock then you will have to get a more expensive motherboard, but there is absolutely no need really to overclock as you would unlikely to see any difference.You do not need any special components to overclock except a better cooler as you would increase the heat from your CPU.

Buying these items from several shops will mean that they will be more expensive. What I would do,if possible, would be to phone YoYoTech and speak to them about what your are looking for and see what they can offer, you might find that you can get a better deal as you are spending a fair bit of money.

If you had someone in this country who could take delivery for you then Scan or Ebuyer would be the cheaper option,otherwise YoYotech is your best bet.

Like this post
metric man

Likes # 0

actually I do have family in London

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Well then I would suggest buying from Scan or Ebuyer and getting more for your money.

If you would like I can see what sort of spec I can get from these two places or even mixture of them both?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to upgrade to BT's YouView+ box: DTR-T1000 vs DTR-T2100

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features