We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'My Computer' not showing proper GBs

aidee

Likes # 0

Hi, I received a humungus amount of help in answer to my HDD query. I now ask for help with the following. I have added the 500GB External HDD, and copied a few files, but when I open 'My Computer', under the 'G' drive (my Ext HDD), it states 55.5 GB free of 55.7GB. ???? AD

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

What Op System are you using. How is the external drive formatted ? FAT or NTFS ? Have you looked to see what is on the drive ?

Like this post
aidee

Likes # 0

Hi iscanut, My Laptop uses Vista H/Premium and the Ext HDD is formatted to the same asw the Comp NTFS. Thanks, AD

Like this post
aidee

Likes # 0

Hi iscanut, My Laptop uses Vista H/Premium and the Ext HDD is formatted to the same asw the Comp NTFS. Thanks, AD

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe you ought to check the size GB in Disk Management How to access Disk Management also usually external harddrives come formatted to Fat32, did you change it to NTFS yourself? While you are in disk management look to see if there are any parts marked 'Unallocated' on your G:\ ext drive

Like this post
aidee

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic, I checked in Disk Management and the correct volumes are shown. I have 408 MB 'unallocated' and the rest is the files I have already transferred. When I first received the Ext HDD, the manufacturer's instructions were to Reformat to NTFS.

Like this post
aidee

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic, I checked in Disk Management and the correct volumes are shown. I have 408 MB 'unallocated' and the rest is the files I have already transferred. When I first received the Ext HDD, the manufacturer's instructions were to Reformat to NTFS.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If the space is unallocated it means that as far as Windows is concerned it does not exist. You need to create a partition in the unallocated space or extend the size of the existing partition. Look in Disk Management as above and if the files are only copies, delete the existing partition and then create a new one using all the disk space.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Its very odd that you should not be getting the full capacity after formatting. Normally all you need do is plug in, format and away you go. Why should there be unallocated space ? Strange. Sorry that I cannot offer help as I would be stumped as well. I have never had this sort of problem when adding external USB HDDs.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Only thing I can think of is that when he reformatted the drive to NTFS he also changed the partition size leaving the vast majority of the disk unallocated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"checked in Disk Management and the correct volumes are shown. I have 408 MB 'unallocated'

Can you check again please, I wonder if you mean 408 GB and not MB unallocated as that would work out about right for a 500GB harddrive (they are always in total a bit less than they say because of the 1024 unit to divide by)

When you see the bar graph illustration of the drive, does the G partition take up all of the space and only leave a tiny, tiny bit 'unallocated'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses