We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sign into my Google account?

Likes # 0

I have recently received a series of the following message.
I have no idea what my password is or my account but more importantly I have no idea what sort of threat the E-Mail implies that I face. Do I need Google and if not how do I dump it?

Thank you in anticipation.

Someone recently tried to sign in to your Google Account, XXXXX @btinternet.com. We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:27:40 AM GMT IP Address: 184.91.155.31 (bhn.net) Location: Winter Park, FL, USA

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately. Find out how at http://support.google.com/accounts?p=reset_pw

Sincerely, The Google Accounts Team

© 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google product or account.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you do not have an account then just bin the email. I get this sort of thing from banks I seem to have an account with. These emails are little more than fishing expeditions and if you do not have an account and do not respond then you are fine.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

PS. Whatever you do certainly do not click on any link contained in the email.

Like this post
FRANKMAC

Likes # 0

Hi

Like chronos suggests this looks like a scam to me too, just delete the email. My suspicions are heightened as every google help page i have visited has a Https prefix rather than just http. i cant be 100% but i would certainly NOT click the link.

HTH Mac

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Google does routinely send these messages when it detects what it thinks might be an unauthorised sign-in attempt.

It means that Google has seen a sign-in coming from a different location to the one you most commonly use. In most cases it will have been you doing the sign in. In this case it probably wasn't, unless you were in Winter Park in Florida on the 9th October.

Take a look at this for more information on the subject

You can safely click the link in the Google email, by the way. If you don't use the Google account the best thing is to ignore the warning and delete the email.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features