We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Moving Files from a Windows 98 desktop to a new laptop

rn7831

Likes # 0

I recently acquired a new laptop computer to replace my ancient desktop computer. I'd like to transfer files from the old desktop to the new laptop, but I seem to have a problem. The disc drives on the desktop are no longer operational, and some of the files are too large to send 'to myself' via e-mail. I remember being able to plug a friend's external hard drive into my desktop and being able to move files onto it, and was hoping to rescue files by transferring them from the desktop to the hard drive and the hard drive to the laptop, but upon borrowing his hard drive, I now find that the desktop refuses to acknowledge that the drive exists! This hard drive is not the same one as I used before, so I expect that this might be the cause of the problem. Can you suggest an external hard drive that I could purchase that would be suitable for use in this situation? The desktop is running Windows 98.

OF course, any other solutions to my transferring problem would also be very welcome.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If you get a usb caddy with the correct conections for the drives on your desktop. you may be able to remove your desktops drive and see the drives contents that way. I would suggest a powered caddy as the usb ports on a laptop can not always give enought power

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If the Disc Drives on the Desktop did not work you would not be able to start 98 nor see the files. You could copy them to a Memory stick but you will only be able to use about a 1Gig stick as this is all 98 can see, or use a Camera with a SD card in it and copy to the SD card in Windows Explorer File Manager. the above will only work if you can get into Windows

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You say 'The disc drives on the desktop are no longer operational'

If it/they are really dead, you will not be able to access the files. If they are OK, but just won't boot into Windows, then you may be able to recover the files using a caddy as suggested by sharpamat.

Like this post
rn7831

Likes # 0

My lack of computer knowledge may mean that I'm using the wrong terminology. By 'disc drives' I mean the slots into which one places a CD or floppy disc. The computer turns on perfectly well and loads up Windows 98. I can access all the files on the old desktop computer, but I can't work out how to move them to another computer.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If your old machine has USB capability then use a USB pen drive. Some Win 98 machines work with USB.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you want a cheap solution, just buy a cable like these on Amazon IDE to USB Cable and take out W98 Harddrive and connect it to usb on other pc and transfer your stuff. Then you can put the W98 harddrive back in old pc if you want.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I think lotvic's suggestion is fine, but I would emphasise that the lead to your old HD is IDE because a HD of that age will be that type of connection (With a broad grey ribbon inside the PC)

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

There are programs that let you send large files via email, link https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=send%20large%20files&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np.

These links may help you, as (mostly) they offer free trial.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses