We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet security

Patc

Likes # 0

At present I have Kaspersky internet security on my machine and it has been suggested that I change to Norton Internet security. To achieve this I know that I have to remove Kaspersky by using the removal tool. I also need to download Norton. Would it be easier to purchase a copy of norton so that it is to hand - lessening the timescale.

Thank you

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

IMHO you do not need Norton, especially by purchasing.

As far as I am aware, Kaspersky if a good enough program but it would not hurt to download/install MalwareBytes free version.

MalwareBytes click here

Like this post
Patc

Likes # 0

Nontek

Thank you for your reply. I have never heard of malwarebytes is this a substitute for Kaspersky or an added security measure?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

It is in addition to Kaspersky.

I have never used Kaspersky, but I do know it is an Anti-virus program, which is fine.

MalwareBytes is a anti-Malware program, which many people, including myself, use alongside their own choice of anti-virus - I use Microsoft Security Essentials to combat virus'.

But never use two anti-virus programs on same PC.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 1

My only concern about MSE is the fact that it does not scan e-mails, but I believe AVG provide a separate scanner for this. Others will have a different view - I've been with Norton Internet Security for as long as I can remember and for £23 pa get cover for 3 PC's. But, as I say, others will have a different view.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

xania: I was under the impression that MSE Scanned all incoming stuff, including e-mails.

Maybe someone will confirm/deny this impression.

Eddie

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
recap

Likes # 1

I'm in a little bit of disagreement with nontech on their suggestion as to not use two antivirus progams. I have used two for years without any conflict. One is enabled while the other is disabled. The reason is if i suspect I have a virus that program one has not detected I use program two when in safemode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer