We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

portable hard drive

chinaplate

Likes # 0

i have a iomega select portable hard drive usb 2.0 with what should be 500 gb...properties state 66.3 gb available !somethings gone amiss,any advice as to what ? thanks

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What machine are you trying to read it on?

Is it USB Powered or does it need an External Power Source?

Like this post
chinaplate

Likes # 0

windows 7 laptop i'v put video on portable hard drive which plays ok via vlc.just can't understand why its not showing the 500 gb it should be.done a google and only answer seems to be reformat the drive

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Don't even think about that. Many many too many possibilities to investigate yet.

Highest on the list is Murphies Law!

Have you tried turning off your Lappy > disconnecting the External Drive > turning the Lappy back on > re-connecting the External Drive > then looking at its contents?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

"66.3gb available" means about 400+gbs already in use.

What other files might you have on it?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I do not know a great deal about windows7, however if you can acess HELP and Computer Management, you should be able to see the disk and any unformatted partitions.

With XP you also have the option to OPEN the drive to see contents.

There is possibly a better way to do this in W7 perhaps someone can advise.

You should also from Windows Explorer be able to go to the option to show all files and select show all hidden and system files, which will tell you where the space (if it exists) is.

Terry

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

You've not got anything, on there, that's created its own discrete/reserved partition?

In "computer", something like Acronis Secure Zone (for example), will show up only as a seperate "system file", with nothing to show its size, or where it's located. You can then be left wondering why your actual drive, there, is only showing a small amount of a small drive "free".

Like this post
manoj9585

Likes # 0

If you are using for permanent documents, life time pictures/videos or anything that you have no backup in your desktop computer, I would prefer to use a hard drive over flash drive. flash drives don't have any specific life expectancy, so it can break/stop working any time without any reason. So there is more chance to lose your files by using flash drive.coffee mug

Like this post
chinaplate

Likes # 0

hi thanks for replies (i'v been away from home for a couple of days) problem fixed by downloading Easus Partion Magic and resize/move partition. i'm no techy but a few clicks and there you go.Thanks again.

Like this post
chinaplate

Likes # 0

hi thanks for replies (i'v been away from home for a couple of days) problem fixed by downloading Easus Partion Magic and resize/move partition. i'm no techy but a few clicks and there you go.Thanks again.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There's very little point in Partitioning an External Hard Drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded