We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building a cheap gaming PC

Rezray
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hey again, I know this is my second post in a short while, but after the advice I got earlier I spoke to my more tech savvy friend about maybe building my own PC, and he said he wouldn't mind lending me a hand. So I've gotten together a list of what I'd like but I'm afraid he's unreachable now for a few days, so I've decided to return to this forum for help.

Here are the specs I've come up with and I'm wondering if it should all work:

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz (my friend advised me to overclock it to 4.5GHz)

Motherboard: Asrock P67 PRO

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive

Video Card: Sapphire HD 6850 1GB

PSU & Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II SPECIAL EDITION Case with Red Interior - With Coolermaster 650W GX PSU

Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Optical Disc Drive: LiteOn iHAS124

Other: TP-Link Wireless-N150 PCIe card

If someone could check that this would all work together, or if you'd replace certain parts, that'd be great, I'm also wondering what cables I'll need.

I'm buying all this from eBuyer.com, but if anyone knows somewhere cheaper that I can acquire these things (other than ebay) I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

So you have given up on the suggestions in this post. Original.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Unless you are going to be over-clocking your CPU then I would drop the freezer pro and use the extra to upgrade you GPU from the 6850 to the 6870.If you are going to be gaming online then you would do better to be connected to the internet via Ethernet cable as opposed to wireless.

Do not forget a tube of thermal paste, as for cables they will all come with your motherboard,(Sata Cables), your case/PSU should come with the power cable. Obviously you will need to connect your monitor to your graphics card so you will need,depending on your monitor connections either a HDMI cable or a DVI cable or a DVI to VGA adapter cable.

Like this post
Rezray

Likes # 0

Thanks,

Yeah I looked into the suggestions and spoke with my friend, who advised me to find out how much the parts I wanted would cost me seperately, it turns out it saves me about £100, so thank you for all your help :)

Like this post
Rezray

Likes # 0

Also, my PC is placed on the other side of the house from our router, and because of the way the house was built, moving the router from that location is impossible. I find that gaming on my Xbox wirelessly is no trouble, but will that be different for my PC? Would it make more sense to find a way to connect via ethernet? If so could you suggest how I'd do that?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If it works on with the Xbox then leave things as they are. If you are having problems later we can have a look at your options. My PC is about three rooms away from the router, which is directly connected to the main telephone socket, and my PC is connected, along with two printers and a NAS box,via Ethernet cable and hub. No problems at all.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer