We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New to gaming pc's

firetrap28

Likes # 0

I'm wanting to buy a mid range gaming pc,but would only like to spend £500 max,could anyone give me any ideas,Im abit lost with which to but i5 or amd,geforce or radeon, how much memory do i need ,and how big a hard drive.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The price is a bit low for a mid range gaming pc. Suggest that you browse some of the websites like Cougar Extreme, Novatech and Chillblast to get an idea of what you can get fro your money. Also read the reviews in the magazines - Top 5, A-list, etc.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

i5s generally outperform AMD's current processors.

Both GeForce and Radeon graphics cards are very good. Just compare benchmarks to see which of the ones you fancy offer better value for money. This site is very good, but if you can't find the one you're looking for then use Google.

RAM is very cheap these days so I would recommend getting 8GB of that (8GB should only cost £35ish).

I would aim to get a minimum hard drive capacity of 500GB.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It would also be helpful to know what sort of games you will be playing, but I think as has already been said £500 is pushing it a bit. Not impossible but will really depend on your games of choice. I will see what I can rustle up.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry meant to add,does this £500 include a monitor and peripherals, keyboard mouse and speakers,if so then I would say very difficult.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It would also be helpful to know what sort of games you will be playing, but I think as has already been said £500 is pushing it a bit. Not impossible but will really depend on your games of choice. I will see what I can rustle up.

Like this post
firetrap28

Likes # 0

I would like to play football manager 20212 full settings,also like to play games such as skyrim,and rpg games.Would i be better building my own ,im a novice though is it hard to build your own.I would go up to paying £650 for a good machine tower only.Also i would like a MACHINE I COULD upgrade at a later point.

Like this post
firetrap28

Likes # 0

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You still have not mentioned whether you need a monitor or keyboard ETC?

The second one out of the three is probably the better, but if you can go to £650 then we can do better but I need to know the answer to my question.

Like this post
firetrap28

Likes # 0

No monitor needed or keyboard .can go to £650 to get a better machine

Like this post
firetrap28

Likes # 0

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites