We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

old pc transfer every thing onto new pc

jimbojetset69

Likes # 0

i am soon building my own pc with the help of a pc shop , iwant to transfer every thing i have on my pc to my new one like photo home moves folders ect i want to put them all on a spare hard drive on my new pc my question is how and please dont give me complicated jargen cause im a noob at this

thank you for your time on my issue

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

What you need is a hard-drive caddy, something like this: Caddy. But you will have to make sure that you get the right type to suit your hard-drive connection, either the old IDE or the new Sata. I suspect that you will have the IDE. You can actually get a IDE/Sata caddy which might be your best bet, THIS. Pop your hard-drive in the caddy use the usb cable to connect to your new PC then all you have to do is copy the photos etc to the new PC and of course you will have a back up on the old hard-drive. Though it would probably best to,once you have copied the files across you then wipe the old hard-drive clean and then copy all your stuff back to it, and then you will have a nice clean backup.

Another way would be to add your old drive as a slave to the new one then copy across but again if your old drive is IDE and your new motherboard does not have an IDE connection on it,and most of them don't these days,then this will be a problem.

I know it sounds a lot of faffing about but it is not really and you will get plenty of help here.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 1

Note that the Sata/Ide caddy in Chronus' link is for 2.5 inch drives. I suspect that you will need a 3.5 inch version.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Oops so it does. Try this.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

Why no just use the built-in Windows Easy Transfer - I've used it numerous times, and it's been fine every time. Bear in mind you cannot transfer programmes, only files.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

64-bit Android smartphones and tablets arriving this year: Better battery life and performance

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes