We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setup.exe - Application Error

Avebury

Likes # 0

Hi, Windows XP Home Edition Service Pk 3. All Microsoft updates are installed - as far as I know.

I have this error message appear when the computer boots to the Welcome screen.

It reads :

Setup.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x00404f67 reference memory at 0x00000004. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program

OK  Cancel *

I close the error message down and the computer boots up very slowly to the desktop.

I've run AVG anti-virus, Malwarebytes, Spybot, nothing untoward was found, and I cleared out the Java Cache, and the Temporary Internet Files, Defragged, and then did a Scandisk, which reported Volume is clean (or similar).

Please can you help? Thank you, Anne

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you recently installed a new programme or piece of hardware, or updated a driver or installed an update?

You could try system restore or load the last known configuration. To do this you need to boot up the pc and as it is booting keep pressing the F8 key.

"Windows Advanced Options Menu" should appear where you will find last known good configuration - highlight this and press enter.

Like this post
Avebury

Likes # 0

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

I installed several small programs, all graphic programs. I've since uninstalled them, thinking maybe one of them was causing the error to appear. I've uninstalled each seperately and rebooted after each uninstall.

The error first appeared around the 14th April, the Restore point is set for the 18th April, nothing before then. I'll try Safe Mode, a Sys Restore and report back. Thanks for the help.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It is possible that they have not been completely uninstalled - some programmes leave traces spread everywhere. You could try the free Revo Uninstaller that gets rid of such things.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Could you have a look in Event viewer and post any extra details that may be there?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you have the XP system disk, try the following:

from RUN tyype in sfc /scannow

The space between sfc and / is necessary.

The will check your system and replace any (Windows) files that are corrupted which may fix the system.

If you do not have a XP CD DO NOT TRY THIS as you may make the systen non- functional.

You can also try the following:

Open my computer; RIGHT click and select properties;select TOOLS; Error Checking- select fix (both boxes)

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer