We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keyboard characters

bturner

Likes # 0

Newbie question,

I need to use a character from my keyboard, the button I need to use has 3 characters on it, pressing it produces "`", holding shift and pressing the button produces "¬", how do I get the third character on this button?

Thanks for any help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hold down Alt Gr and press the key ¦

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Or hold down both CTRL and ALT and then press ¦ (ALT GR is equivalent to the CTRL+ALT key combination)

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the replies.

Holding down Ctrl and Alt Gr together and pressing the key produes this character "¦"

But the character shown on my key, the one I need to use is a vertical straight line without a break.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

On my keyboard this character is in the upper case of the \ key and holding shift and that key does this - is that what you want? |||

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Lol, thank-you for that.

My new keyboard is marked wrong, the ¦ and | are marked on the wrong keys.

Thanks again.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

bturner. Have you set up the PC for UK Keyboard? See Here if not:

UK keyboard set up

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

I have just tried pressing all the keys and also while using the shift key and everything is correct except for the | and ¦

The keyboard is set up correctly in "start, control panel, region and language but I have saved the link you provided just in case I ever need to change the settings on a future keyboard.

All the best.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think you can lever off a key cover and swap them if only 2 are involved.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Quoting lotvic: "ALT GR is equivalent to the CTRL+ALT key combination"

lotvic, thank you for that one - I never knew that!!!

Again, thank you

Just as a point of interest, having just tried typing the said characters, my keyboard produces the ¦ and the | the wrong way around too!

However, can't change the keys around as the other characters on the keys would be wrong! Still, not to worry. I have never used them yet!

Interesting post - thanks everyone

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

My HP UK keyboard has them the wrong way round as well!!!!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded