We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Memory Quandary

wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have just replaced some Memory, after upgrading the OS of my System from Windows XP to Windows 7 – 64bit.

I had 2 x 1Gb Sticks and 2 x 512Mb Sticks installed. I took out the 2 x 512MB Sticks and replace them with 2 x 1GB Sticks from Crucial

The Motherboard is an ASUS A8S-X 1.xx fitted with an AMD 2.4 Gigahertz Athlon Processor, which appears to be able to handle 4GB of RAM in two pairs.

The System seems to be operating faster than it did before, fairly singing along. However, when I look at the System Properties I find this:

Installed Memory (RAM). 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It may be that your graphics card is reserving 1g of Ram or perhaps that the maximum memory is not enabled in your bios - have a look at this article.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I agree with difarn, if you're using on-board SIS graphics then 1 gig is reserved for that, specs.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Belarc shows that I have a Radeon X1300/X1500 Card.

Could it be being by-passed?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It looks as though my Graphics Card has no managed to make the transition.

Would that be likely to be the case if there were only 32bit Drivers available?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This Radeon link gives you information on your card and a link to this site for 64 bit drivers.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Thanks "difarn".

That looks to be the right place, but which one of the 6 to Download. I have insufficient knowledge to help me make that decision.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Second one on the top row - Windows 7 64-bit should do it.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As you upgraded from XP (32 bit system ) to Window 7 (64 bit system), you may have to go into the bios and reset the defaults, allowing the bios to detect the 64 bit operating system, or you may have to set it manually depending on the Bios. As you probably know a 32 bit system can only access (about)3.5 gb of memory, which is why I suspect this is what is happening.

Terry

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Terry, I have assumed that, as everything else is swinging along well, the 64 bit system is properly in place.

Anyway, I have(sort of) decided to upgrade my Card as the old one was at the low end of the Market, even when I installed it, anyway.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You have assumed that everything is OK, but have you actually had a look at the BIOS settings?

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features