We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how do i copy my itunes music on to hard drive

drastor

Likes # 0

I have an iPOD Classic. I recently lost my laptop on which my itunes library was stored. This consisted mainly of files I had copied from my music cds. Obviusly all these files are still on my ipod. When I connect the ipod to the new computer it says it does not sync to that library and do I want to clear it and start again. I do not want to d this as it took weeks to load on all these CDs and they are still on the ipod. Is there any way I can transfer the files on the ipod to my new hard drive?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

From reading up on this it appears that there is no direct way of doing this that doesn't involve a third party application. It does say that if you try to sync your i-pod with an empty i-tunes folder on your PC then you will end up with nothing on both - the PC folder is empty then the i-pod will mirror it.

Found this free download if you are interested but please be aware that I have not used it.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This is something that for some reason Apple refuses to address, it is quite ridiculous that following a PC crash etc and not having a back of your iTunes library you need a third party software to transfer your music back to iTunes from your player. I have in the past used CopyTrans but I like the look of Difarn's suggestion.

In future back up the whole of your iTunes folder to an external drive or something.

Like this post
bionicle

Likes # 0

It can be done..I have done it in the past from i-pod classic 150gb. See http://lifehacker.com/105256/how-to-copy-songs-from-your-ipod-to-your-pc You might need to make some minor changes to the process depending on operating system, i-pod etc but basically with the i-pod connected you need to 'show hidden files and folders' and then copy over. If stuck some further web searches will show you how.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Before you start, in iTunes on the new PC,Edit/Preferences/Devices then ensure that the box "Do not auto synch" is checked. Also look up "Using iPod as a hard drive" on google.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just came across this recommendation about "Share Pod" on another forum.

It is a free download and does copy from ipod to PC. It seems quite straightforward.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features