We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What do u think

donington

Likes # 0

Hi all this is my first post on here i have built my self my first home pc and just wanted some veiws of what u guys think !

1 x Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 AMD 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

1 x AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95w 1.5MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

2 x Corsair 2GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module Unbuffered

2 x Western Digital WD5000AADS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM Caviar Green

2 x Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

1 x Coolermaster Elite 334 Black Mid Tower Case

1 x Palit GTS 450 1024MB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

1 x CIT 600W Power supply GOLD 12cm Fan 2x SATA

This all came to £369.94 with vat from ebuyer im very happy with what i have got even tho i know the power supply is cheap n nasty so as i said above all veiws are welcome even if u think its crap lol thanks donington

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You do not mention what the main use of the PC will be or what your operating system will be.On first glance I would double the RAM and you certainly do not need a 600 W PSU for those components, 450-500W would be plenty,so what you save with the PSU will help towards the extra RAM.

Oops,just retread your post and see that you have already built the PC so just double up on the RAM then.

Like this post
donington

Likes # 0

Do you think its worth while going from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM and yer sorry i did not say what i use the pc for its mainly for just internet and gameing.

Like this post
donington

Likes # 0

Im running windows 7

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

If you are only using Windows 7 32BIT then there is no point in adding any more than 4GB if on the other hand you have the 64BIT version then you might as well bung in the 8GB. I would get a decent PSU as well. CIT are rubbish.

Like this post
donington

Likes # 0

Yer CIT are rubbish lol its a bit on the loud side im goner change that first, i am running 32 bit win 7 but i already have a 64 bit version but have not got round to changeing it yet but what is the difference between 32 and 64 bit and what would u say a good PSU that i should be lookig for and how much is it goner cost

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

The main difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems is that 64-bit Operating Systems are made to take full advantage of the processors these days. By running a 64-bit Operating System you will notice a performance gain compared to a 32-Bit Operating System. In addition to that a 32-Bit system is technically limited to using 3GB of RAM. Anything more than 3GB is more or less waste. So if you plan to have the computer for a while and upgrade the RAM down the line then I would lean towards 64-bit.

A decent PSU will set you back £40+ and you should be looking at 500W.Good makes Corsair,Antec Basiq,Seasonic,Be Quiet,Enermax and others.

Like this post
donington

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus im putting 64bit win7 on today and im going to buy a new psu monday and then in the new year another 4gb of ram them ill be sorted thanks for your help :-)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Your welcome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses