We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Build Help? And Advice,

mrrob27

Likes # 0

Hello all this is my first post in this forum,

anyway after years of paying for over priced, pre built PC's im making the jump into the 'build your own' world and am after some help,

my pc will be used for gaming and various multi tasking.

first of all ive decided to use a AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU, im unsure on which motherboard to use and which one my CPU will fit into it? will it fit into most? ive been looking at the ASUS M4A77T AMD 770/SB710 ATX Motherboard - AM3 Socket.

also ive been considering the cooler master centurion 5 ii, will the motherboard mentioned above fit into this? and what power supply will i need? power supply units have confused me the most :/

any criticisms, advice, help and anything else will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance Rob

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The Phenom II x4 945 is on the supported CPU list for the Asus M4A77T See Here but you probably knew that. And yes that board will fit in the Centurion 5 ii case. As for power supplies you need one in the 600W to 750W range, a few suggestions from ebuyer try for a brand name for best reliability but read the reviews they will guide you. You don't mention graphics which will be the most important component in a gaming machine and again you need to check on-line reviews. My only experience is with the ATI Radeon series and in that you will need a minimum of an HD5770. For the operating system I would choose Win7 64bit and put in 8Gb of fast DDR3 RAM

Like this post
mrrob27

Likes # 0

thanks for your response

im thinking on the nvida geforce gtx 260, will this be okay with the cpu, motherboard and case mentioned above, also is it capable of running the latest games?

thanks very much

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Take a look at this and then you decide. Also this chart compares most of the available new cards

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

First of all your case will take the motherboard you are interested in. Your motherboard supports,as 'chub_tor' has said, your CPU of choice, you certainly do not need a power supply of 600W-750W. Your case with an ample power supply can be had from Ebuyer, Case You do not say how much you are spending on you graphics card but I think I would prefer the HD 6870 over the GTX 260

Like this post
mrrob27

Likes # 0

hello and thanks for your reply

yeah i looked on ebuyer and saw that case with a 500w supply, would this be enough?

and i think between £100 - £200 for my graphics card, but that im not really too sure,

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

More than enough power.

Graphics card, how about the GTX 460 GPU Well within your price range and you will have more than enough power with the 500W PSU.

Like this post
mrrob27

Likes # 0

thanks for all your help guys, this is my first solo build (done a few group builds at uni) anyway i think ive got my final build but would happily like to recieve, change reccomendations, advice etc etc, so.....

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965

Motherboard - Asus M4A77T

Ram - Kingston 4gb value ram DDR3 (X2)

Graphics Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460

SSD - Crucial 64GB M4 SATA (FOR OS and applications etc)

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5 SATA 6GB (for files, music photo, etc)

Case - Coolermaster elite 430 with 500w psu

i will be using this for mainly gaming and maybe dabble in photo and video editing, do you think this will cope? please any feeback will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I would split the 1TB HDD for 2 500GB HDD's.

Have you checked the Memory Support List. RAM always worth a look, or post the part number and I'll have a look.

I would stick a couple of 120mm fan in the top of the case to draw hot air out, also stick one in the back.

Like this post
mrrob27

Likes # 0

thanks for your reply

what are the advantages of splitting the 1tb too 2 500gb,just our of curiosity,

and the part number is KVR1333D3N9/4G i went on the basis that i probably wont be overclocking as im not confident on how or what to do, so i went with a cheap stick

and yeah ive got the fans sorted out,

thanks a lot

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Pros and cons of partitioning click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features