We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beginners' Tech Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need help with gaming laptop

Keenan66

Likes # 0

Just wanted to know if this would be a good laptop for games for my son . Don't know alot about laptop The price is £699... Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor - 2.0 GHz (up to 2.9 GHz with Turbo Boost) - 6 MB L3 cach- 6 GB DDR3 RAM - Intel® HD Graphics 3000 - 8X DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive - 2 x USB 2.0 1 x USB 3.0 1 x HDMI 1 x VGA 1 x HDMI (digital video/audio) 1 x VGA (analogue video) screen size 15.6" -

Like this post
Divided_Loyalties

Likes # 0

Not the best to answer this (hence why I'm scanning beginner forum), but as no one has. Everything looks good except the graphics card which is integrated with the processor. I found this doesn't work as well for gaming as it causes issues when the processor is working hard and trying to do decent graphics.

That said mine is not as good (cheaper and a year old) but I still think get a discrete graphics card.

Quick scan of ebuyer came up with the below for £630. Not sure how the processor compares and the screens smaller. Its more for comparison as it was the first on the list.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/252804 Samsung SF310 LaptopIntel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz 4GB RAM + 320GB HDD 13.3" HD LED NVIDIA GeForce 310M Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Lastly without expert knowledge shopping for a discrete/integrated card is pretty hard as they are often not very clear in the description

JT

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It used to be said that gaming and laptops do not go together. However this is no longer true.

What is true is that inexpensive Laptops can rarely compete with Desktops when it comes to Gaming. The reason being the difficulty to be found in including sufficient processing power to run the Game's Graphics.

Read through the Reviews, on this site, and the word 'disappointing' is frequently used in conjunction with Gaming, on machines under £900.00. This does not mean that the cheaper ones cannot run games, just that there will be lower Frame Rates and much of the fine tuning needs to be turned off, or down, to play.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings