We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what exactly is a land line with virginmedia cable

Number six
Resolved

Likes # 0

Back in the days before super fast BB and multi-channel cable TV, most of us used BT for a land-line phone. For this service we paid a "line rental" which was presumably to cover the cost of the supply and maintenance of BT's hard-wired infrastructure - telegraph poles, cables to house etc.

Currently I use Virginmedia cable for BB, TV (both excellent) and land-line phone. What I cannot understand is why I still have to pay £15 per month for a "line rental". What exactly is this elusive item? Surely there is no extra hardware or cabling required to use a phone when you already have a BB and TV service, and the amount of extra bandwith required is absolutely tiny. My monthly charge is approx. £55, and almost half of that is to make a few phone calls? How can Virgin charge £15 per month to rent something which does not actually exist?

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Landline is a fixed line to make phone calls on as against mobile phone calls from the phone you can take with you when you go out and about

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

How can Virgin charge £15 per month to rent something which does not actually exist?

It does 'exist' in the same way the BT phone line 'exists'. You have two wires coming into your house. One carries the TV and Broadband, the other is the Phone line which connects to an exchange in the same way a BT line connects to an exchange. They both have a similar infrastructure so have a similar charge.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'You have two wires coming into your house'

Sort of. (Unless things have changed.)

Telephone service is provided by cable operators using a figure of eight cable where one side carries the broadband signal and the other is made of two pairs of telephone cables.

There are ways to make the broadband cable carry voice but the quality requirements of simple voice telephony are so low that it is easy to make the combined cable and use well-established technology at each end.

This means that the cost of establishing a network is cheaper for a cable operator because one installation of the actual cable serves two purposes.

There is, of course, a cost to Virgin in providing the capacity for voice telephony but the answer to why they charge £15 a month for this is 'because they can'.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Number six

You can cancel the phone line but it just about costs the same without it.

Everyone charges for it and we all know that it is a bit of a con but not a lot that you can do about it.

And just in case you never got your e-mail the prices are going up on the 1st of February by another £4.50 a month.

Fat chance of getting that from me.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

fourm member

I do actually have TWO wires coming from the box on the wall outside. One goes to the Phone socket and the other feeds the TIVO box and via splitters, the other HD box and Broadband Superhub. Don't know what feeds the outside box from the roadside cabinet, but its perhaps as you say, a dual purpose cable.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BT - I also have 2 cables (one slim for phone, and the other (coax?) for broadband and TV.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell I wondered why your broadband would drop now and again.

Just wondering if it is because the same cable does the TV and broadband. My broadband cable is separate and my broadband never drops in speed.

As it is someone else's thread there is no need to answer this just thought that it may be your problem.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My broadband drops in speed because of Virgin's throttling policy and local faults. I rang them and was assured that it was nothing at my end. I've just checked and I actually have 3 cables (1 phone, 1 TV and broadband and 1 TV only).

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I have one Phone. One TV and One Broadband cable. Broadband goes direct to the spare bedroom. No Local faults my way and get the full 30mb speed all of the time.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I should have made it clear I meant that the cable from the distribution cabinet to the outside wall is a figure of 8 and, thus, needs only one cable-pulling operation to install it through the ducts.

At the termination point on the house wall it is separated to go to the phone and the TV/computer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks