We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget upgrade to prolong life of gaming pc

jarednz

Likes # 0

Hi all

my current PC specs are as follows:

• Intel Core i5 750 2.66 GHz, Socket 1156, Retail pack with fan

• Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS Hard Disk Drive, 1500GB, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, SATA-2

• G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM, 2x2GB, DDR3-1600, PC3-12800, CL8, DIMM

• MSI R5850-PM2D1G Video Card, Radeon HD 5850, 1024MB, DDR5, PCIe-16, DVI, CrossFire, HDMI

• Asus P7P55 LX Motherboard, Socket 1156, 4xDIMM DDR3, 2xPCIe-16, 3xPCI, 2xPCIe-1, 14xUSB2, Audio, 1xATA, 6xSATA, RAID, ATX

• Vantec ION2, 620W ATX PSU, SLI Ready, Black

I'd really like to give it a good upgrade on a budget no more than $500, firstly I know it badly needs an SSD, for which I'm thinking of the Samsung 250gb 840 EVO series. The ram could do with another 4GB and my video card is struggling with the latest releases. Should I ditch the video card and go for something newer or try and get another 5850 for crossfire support?

TIA.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 1

<< firstly I know it badly needs an SSD, for which I'm thinking of the Samsung 250gb 840 EVO series >>

This 250GB Samsung 840 Evo at NZ$285.89 will bite off a big chunk of your budget so I'd suggest get the 120GB at NZ$168.94 instead. Reinstall your OS on this SSD but put the games & datas on your 1.5TB Hdd.

<< and my video card is struggling with the latest releases. >>

You'll need a gx card like GTX660 at NZ$342.61 if you want vast performance improvement over Hd5850, these 2 items together exceeds your budget by $11.55 already.

<< The ram could do with another 4GB >>

You didn't say what version of your OS was but if it's a 32bit then anything more than 3.5GB of Ram is a waste.

Like this post
jarednz

Likes # 0

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention the OS version indeed.

I'm Running Windows 7 64bit. I'll stretch that budget as much as I can.

Do you think my HD 58050 is bottle necking? it was a great card couple years ago, but it is starting to show its ages, or perhaps the memory and hdd are really slowing the system down?

Thanks for this :o)

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<< I'm Running Windows 7 64bit. I'll stretch that budget as much as I can. >>

That'll stretch your budget to another NZ$83.32 for 4 more GB of G.Skill RipjawsX F3 . :)

<< Do you think my HD 58050 is bottle necking? >>

The HD5850 was & still is a great card but a little dated by nowadays standard, if you want to upgrade the system then a power gx card is a must. Radeon HD 7850 at NZ$345.23 is an alternative to consider.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room