We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop buying help

CharlieB32

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I'm going off to university next year, and so have decided to buy a laptop as I think it'll be needed when I get there, but wanted some advice/help. I've got a budget of around £500-800, and would want to be able to play games on it as well as standard applications. I would only use it for games not available on consoles, so nothing like call of duty or GTA, but more strategy games like Total War. So I'm looking for a laptop with dedicated graphics, and probably an i5 processor? Are there any laptops you guys could recommend in this price range for me? Had been looking at this one, but any suggestions as to a better laptop for my wants would be much appreciated!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Sony Vaio Fit E15 is about the middle of your budget and worth a look. The Toshiba you linked to is i3

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Another one to consider but an AMD processor,click here.

Like this post
emiliajercan

Likes # 0

Hi, I am also a student and i am using a Lenovo laptop for 3 years now. I recommend you to take a look at this, i think it's a good one for your budget. Check it out click here

Emily

Like this post
CharlieB32

Likes # 0

I had been looking at Lenovo laptops, as they seem to be fairly good value, and well respected too.

In terms of performance, between this and this which would provide the better performance gaming wise? I'd expect the MSI to be better generally due to the i7 processor, but the Lenovo has a better graphics card, I'm wondering whether the better processor would enable to MSI to outperform the Lenovo though?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Here is a comparison of the two graphics cards if you scroll to the bottom you will see that the GTX 660M is the better card for gaming but consumes more power, but that it is preferably paired with an i7 to get the best out of it. There are a few on ebay click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features