We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Improving GPS performance on a Tesco Hudl

DLWS

Likes # 0

I use my Hudl for GPS nav when flying a microlight. I find it slow to get its first fix and it drops out frequently. I am not a techie but reading up seems I have three options: a. Buy a GPS antenna and receiver - like - Anadigi GPS 206. This will need download of some software as well. b. Root the Hudl, allowing me to select the hearest NTP server. c. Using the A-GPS facility, update the A-GPS at a higher periodicity (max 1 hourly) so when there is a wifi connection it helps the GPS obtain a fix.

Anyone out there can advise me on which course to pursue?

many thanks

DLWS

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If it drtops out frequently I would return it for replacement. It might just be an under sensitive receiver.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How does it download the maps?

For your purpose I would have bought a GPS system designed for the purpose. Please tell me you have a map with you too.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

So you're flying along and you have to log in to a free wifi to augment the signal. I don't think that is a starter.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I wouldn't mind betting that those developing the Hudl did not consider microlight GPS navigation as one of the uses for it. The only advantage over a dedicated hand-held satnav is screen size. If you must use it, I have no idea about your option "a". Option "b" would invalidate your warranty and is not to be recommended so I suppose, in your position, I would choose "c". A-GPS works well on mobile phones, but to the detriment of battery life.

Personally, I would prefer my Magellan Explorist 610 that includes UK-wide OS maps for navigation. Although I hasten to add that my feet are on the ground when I use it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers