We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Understanding laptop terminology to understand what to buy

angknollenberg

Likes # 0

Hi, I am so lost when it comes to tech talk about computers and am wondering if someone can help me. I currently own a Sony Vaio VGN-NS24OE with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6400@2.00 gHz with Memory (RAM)3.00 GB and a 32-bit OS. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium. I love my laptop and am looking to buy a second laptop that is very similar, although I would like it to be a little bit faster.
My confusion lies in understanding which computers are similar or even faster than what I have currently. I understand the Core 2 Duo aspect, I believe it just means it basically has 2 microprocessors and can multi-task without getting bogged down. However, I do not understand the T6400 part or the gHz aspect. Could someone please explain these two things to me, please? Also, I wouldn't mind advice on which laptops would work best for me. I am mostly just wanting something to run Microsoft Office and browse the web. I am not a gamer so I do not need that capability, and would like something low in price. Thank you.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Let us know what your budget is please ?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Its a bit technical, but have a look at this

click here will see that the processor is nearly 5 years old, and in computer terms that is OLD ! It is also slow compared to modern processors as you will see from the chart.

You

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

You might consider one of the newer windows 8.1 tablets . Most ten inch models will happily and speedily browse the interweb thingy and come with a ful 2013 office suute .

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How about a refurbished laptop. I've bought three from PC World. One is still going after 5 years use, one was destroyed by my granddaughter, and the other is still going. You get the usual 1 year guarantee. I've picked this one for its screen size. CPU and Ram OK, graphics OK, hard drive only 500 GB but you can use USB drives for further storage. Says battery goes to 6 hours so in the real world I'd hope for 4 tops. It also has a USB 3.0 port if you decide on extra USB 3 HDD. Worth looking at anyway.

Good hunting :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...